Tension Between Objects in 1 Dimension

In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a string of negligible mass. Block A has a mass of 4.3 kg and experiences a force of 15 N, while block B has a mass of 6.0 kg and experiences a force of 24 N. The goal is to find the tension in the string. By applying Newton's laws and using the fact that the net acceleration of the system is the same for both blocks, the tension is calculated to be 1.28 N.
Versaiteis

Homework Statement

Here is the problem verbatim (values have been slightly changed, also assume a frictionless environment):

"A 4.3 kg block A and 6.0 kg block are connected by a string of negligable mass. Force FA = (15 N) acts on block A; force FB = (24 N) acts on block B. What is the tension in the string? "

The diagram can be found here:
http://img713.imageshack.us/i/w0085n.jpg/"

Homework Equations

F=ma
[tex]\vec{F}[/tex]A = 15 N [tex]\hat{i}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{F}[/tex]B = 24 N [tex]\hat{i}[/tex]
Fn - Fg = 0 (forces on y-axis are balanced)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly looking for an answer, I just need a place to start. What I'm having trouble with is drawing the free-body diagram, and if I am doing that correctly then I need help interpreting the values that I have.

Heres pretty much what I have been able to come up with as a free-body diagram:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3972/freebodydiagram.jpg"

I have a feeling that my diagram is missing some vital forces (I believe this problem requires me to apply Newtons Third Law, but I'm unsure how to display that graphically)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
find acc. of blocks when no string is attached
if aA > aB then T is ?

if a B> aA use fact that T is same for both blocks and also acc.

alright so...

acc. of A = 3.4884 m/s^2

acc. of B = 4 m/s^2

but I'm not sure I understand exactly what that means. That the 0.512 m/s^2 difference is somehow related to T? I mean F=ma, but if I were to apply this formula what would be the mass? A? B? the sum of the system?

now you got that aB > aA
and they are connected with string ... so will B move faster than A? ...NO!

Now consider their net acc. as "a"

use Newton's laws to find a --- using forces acting on abjects and tension

Alright so to find the net acceleration "a" I set it up like this:
("F" = Net Force, "m" = Net Mass)

F=ma

39N = (10.3kg)*a

39N/10.3kg=a

a=3.786m/s

But this would be the acceleration of the entire system would it not? Doesn't there need to me forces in the opposite direction (-i) for there to be any Tension?

Versaiteis said:
Alright so to find the net acceleration "a" I set it up like this:
("F" = Net Force, "m" = Net Mass)

F=ma

39N = (10.3kg)*a

39N/10.3kg=a

a=3.786m/s

But this would be the acceleration of the entire system would it not? Doesn't there need to me forces in the opposite direction (-i) for there to be any Tension?

As the blocks are connected by string and individual acc. of B>A ... do you think they would have same acc. or different?

In this case you have taken masses+string as system. tension becomes an internel force in this case and therefore do not have any effect on acceleration
your answer is perfectly correct

Versaiteis said:

Homework Statement

Here is the problem verbatim (values have been slightly changed, also assume a frictionless environment):

"A 4.3 kg block A and 6.0 kg block are connected by a string of negligable mass. Force FA = (15 N) acts on block A; force FB = (24 N) acts on block B. What is the tension in the string? "

The diagram can be found here:
http://img713.imageshack.us/i/w0085n.jpg/"

Homework Equations

F=ma
[tex]\vec{F}[/tex]A = 15 N [tex]\hat{i}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{F}[/tex]B = 24 N [tex]\hat{i}[/tex]
Fn - Fg = 0 (forces on y-axis are balanced)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly looking for an answer, I just need a place to start. What I'm having trouble with is drawing the free-body diagram, and if I am doing that correctly then I need help interpreting the values that I have.

Here's pretty much what I have been able to come up with as a free-body diagram:
"[PLAIN]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3972/freebodydiagram.jpg

I have a feeling that my diagram is missing some vital forces (I believe this problem requires me to apply Newtons Third Law, but I'm unsure how to display that graphically)
Hi Versaiteis.
[PLAIN]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3972/freebodydiagram.jpg

I re-posted your free body diagram(s). Actually, you have two of them in your figure, one for each block. You're missing the force exerted on each block by the tension, T, in the string.

As long as [tex]\frac{\left|\vec{F}_A\right|}{m_A}<\frac{\left|\vec{F}\right|}{m_B}\,,[/tex] you can do the problem the way you and cupid have done it.

To find the tension in the string using that method, realize that the net force required to accelerate block A at a=3.786 m/s2 is greater than the 15 N supplied by [tex]\vec{F}_A[/tex]. The extra force needed for that acceleration is the tension in the string. Similarly, the tension is opposite [tex]\vec{F}_B[/tex] and is the the amount needed to accelerate block B with acceleration of a=3.786 m/s2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I think I get it so

Acc. of A is 3.4883 m/s^2
Acc. of B is 4 m/s^2

F(net) = FA + FB = 24N + 15N = 39N

m(net)=mA + mB = 6kg + 4.3kg = 10.3 kg

a(net)= F(net) / m(net) = 39 N / 10.3 kg = 3.786 m/s^2

Now I need the force necessary to move A at 3.786 m/s^2

FA2 = mA * a(net) = 4.3 kg * 3.786 m/s^2 = 16.2798 N

Now I know that FA=15 N is contributed by A so the tension T must be the difference

T = FA2 - FA = 16.2798 N - 15 N = 1.2798 N or 1.28 N

And after repeating this problem with my actual problem (mA = 3.2, FA = 10) and entering into WebAssign it says the answers correct, so the methods right.

Thank you very much Cupid and Sammy, you guys have been a big help, I'll be sure to come post on this site again if I have any more questions.

1. What is tension between objects in 1 dimension?

Tension between objects in 1 dimension is a force that occurs when two objects are connected by a string, rope, or any other type of connector. It is a pulling force that acts in opposite directions on each object and keeps them in equilibrium.

2. How is tension calculated?

Tension is calculated using the formula T=mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula applies to objects in 1 dimension, where the tension force is the same throughout the string or rope.

3. What factors affect tension between objects in 1 dimension?

The tension between objects in 1 dimension can be affected by the mass of the objects, the length and elasticity of the connecting string or rope, and the acceleration due to gravity. The angle at which the string is pulled can also affect the tension force.

4. How is tension different from other types of forces?

Tension is different from other types of forces in that it is a pulling force that acts in opposite directions on each object. Other forces, such as gravity or friction, act on an object in a specific direction. Tension also occurs when the objects are connected by a string or rope, while other forces can act between any two objects in contact.

5. What are some real-life examples of tension between objects in 1 dimension?

Some examples of tension between objects in 1 dimension include a person pulling on a rope attached to a heavy object, a weight suspended from a ceiling by a string, or a person holding a heavy object with a string. These situations rely on the tension force to keep the objects in equilibrium.