Tension/ Force problem; How should I look at this?

In summary, when three identical blocks with a mass of 0.400kg each are connected by ideal strings and pulled along a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force F, the magnitude of the tension between blocks B and C is T=3.00N. The magnitude of the force F can be calculated using F=ma, and the tension between blocks A and B is T=1.5N.
kleencut
1. Three identical blocks connected by ideal strings are being pulled along a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force F. The magnitude of the tension in the string between blocks B and C is T= 3.00N. Assume that each block has mass m= 0.400kg .

[a]--------[c]---->F

What is the magnitude F of the force?

What is the tension between block a and b?

2. F=ma;

3. The magnitude of the force should equal m*a, so (.4*3)*(3/.8) should provide the magnitude. And from that (.4)*(3/.8) should give me the answer to the second question. I feel that I am making some unwarranted assumptions. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
T=2*m*a => 3.00=2m*a => a is known

F=3*m*a =>...

Ok so a= 3.75 m/s^2; From this: F= 1.2*3.75; F=4.5N; T=.8*3.75; T=3N ?

No, btween a and b m=.4; so T= 1.5N

Thanks, I understand now! :-)

OK! Good luck!

1. What is tension and force?

Tension and force are both terms used to describe the pulling or pushing of an object. Tension is a pulling force that is exerted by a rope, cable, or other similar object. Force, on the other hand, is a more general term used to describe any type of interaction that causes a change in motion or shape of an object.

2. How do I calculate tension and force?

To calculate tension, you need to know the force that is acting on the object, as well as the angle at which the force is being applied. You can then use trigonometry to calculate the tension. To calculate force, you need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration due to the force. You can use the formula Force = mass x acceleration (F=ma) to calculate force.

3. What factors affect tension and force?

The factors that affect tension and force include the magnitude of the force, the angle at which the force is being applied, and the mass of the object. Other factors that can affect tension and force include friction, air resistance, and the surface on which the object is being pulled or pushed.

4. Why is it important to understand tension and force?

Understanding tension and force is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics. By understanding these concepts, we can better understand how objects move and interact with each other. This knowledge is crucial in designing and building structures, machines, and other devices.

5. How can I approach a tension/force problem?

When approaching a tension/force problem, it's important to first identify all the known variables and information. Then, determine what type of force or tension is involved (e.g. tension from a rope, gravitational force, etc.) and the direction in which it is acting. From there, you can use the appropriate equations and principles to solve the problem. It may also be helpful to draw a free-body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the object.