1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension In musical strings and wavelength

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One string of a certain musical instrument is 79.0cm long and has a mass of 8.79g . It is being played in a room where the speed of sound is 344m/s .
    A)To what tension must you adjust the string so that, when vibrating in its second overtone, it produces sound of wavelength 3.39cm ?
    B)What frequency sound does this string produce in its fundamental mode of vibration?

2. Relevant equations
    v=sqroot(Tension/linear density), linear Density=m/L, v=(f)(lamda)=(omega)/k, k=2(pi)/(lamda)

3. The attempt at a solution

I keep trying to get out a way to find T but always end up reducing an eqaution to something pointless such as f=f or (lamda)=(lamda). My real problem is a concept one...Is the v used in equations the speed of sound in the room (334m/s) and when finding linear density do I use .79m or .0339m as the length. Please respond..anything helps and thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The v must be the velocity of the wave on the string when referring to the wave on the string. But use 344 m/s for the sound "of wavelength 3.39 cm". Use 8.79g/79 cm (in standard units) for the linear density of the string.

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3
    I tried using 344m/s as the v in the eqaution v=sqroot(Tension/linear denstiy)

so... v^2 = Tension/Linear Density
    so... Tension= v^2 (linear Density) => tension= (344m/s^2)(.00879kg/.79m)=1316.67N.
    However when I tried that it was wrong. I am still confused about the "of wavelength 3.39cm" and the second overtone. Don't they need to come into the problem too? Thank you

5. Mar 24, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You are mixing the sound and the vibration on the string incorrectly.
    The thing they have in common is the frequency. Use v = f*lambda for the sound with v=344 and lambda = .0339 to get the frequency for both the wave AND the vibration. Then use that frequency with formulas that apply to the vibrating string.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook