Tension in string attached to two fixed points

Young's modulus equation to calculate the temperature at which the tension in a piece of steel wire will be 0.In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a piece of steel wire at different temperatures and tensions. The solution involves using Young's modulus to calculate the temperature at which the tension will be 0.
fluz
I'm having trouble with this physics problem:

A piece of steel wire (diameter 2mm) is connected between two fixed points. The tension in the wire is 120N at 0 degrees Celcius. At what temperature is the tension 0?

I assume that I first have to calculate how much "too short" the string is (thus creating tension), and after that calculate how much the temperature has to rise for the wire to expand that much.

My problem is that I don't know how the wire length relates to the tension. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
fluz said:
I'm having trouble with this physics problem:
My problem is that I don't know how the wire length relates to the tension. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?
This looks like a Young's Modulus problem:
[tex]\lambda = \frac{T/A_{wire}}{x/L_{wire}}[/tex]

You can work out the ratio x/L from the tension if you look up Young's modulus for steel. Then work out the temperature that would cause the string to expand that amount.

AM

Andrew Mason, you are just smart!

hhegab

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string refers to the amount of force or pull that is applied to the string. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) and can be calculated using the formula T = F * l, where T is tension, F is force, and l is the length of the string.

2. How is tension affected by the length of the string?

The tension in a string is directly proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the string increases, so does the tension. This can be observed in real-life scenarios, such as plucking a guitar string. The longer the string, the higher the tension and the higher the pitch of the sound produced.

3. How does the angle of the string affect tension?

The angle of the string does not directly affect the tension. However, if the string is not parallel to the ground or the fixed points, the tension will be divided into horizontal and vertical components. This means that the total tension will be equal to the vector sum of these components, and the angle of the string will determine the magnitude and direction of these components.

4. What happens to the tension when one of the fixed points is moved?

If one of the fixed points is moved, the tension in the string will change. This is because the force acting on the string is no longer balanced, and the string will experience a net force in the direction of the movement. The tension will also change if the distance between the two fixed points is altered.

5. How is tension affected by the weight of the string?

The weight of the string itself does not affect the tension. However, if the string is attached to an object with weight, the tension will increase to support the weight of the object. This is because the weight of the object creates a downward force, which needs to be balanced by an equal and opposite force from the tension in the string.