Tension of rope between 2 blocks

In summary, the conversation discusses a new member introducing themselves to the forum and a problem involving two blocks being pulled across a frictionless surface with an acceleration of 1.5m/s/s. The mass of Block 1 is 4kg and Block 2 is 2kg. The conversation also includes questions about the tension in the rope between the blocks and the tension being pulled. The conversation then goes on to discuss using the equation F=ma to calculate the net force on each block and how to find the tensions in each rope.
Notion
Hey guys I"m new to the forum so I just wanted to say what's up? You'll be seeing me a lot more often btw. :]

Homework Statement

Rachel is pulling 2 blocks across a horizontal friction less surface with an acceleration of 1.5m/s/s. The mass of Block 1 is 4kg and Block 2 is 2kg.

1) What is the tension in the rope between the blocks?
2) What is the tension of the rope being pulled?

Diagram :

ws00w0.png

Homework Equations

F=ma is all I know because I missed the lesson where my teacher went over tension, I missed class due to a religious holiday btw.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well because its a friction-less surface I don't have to worry about that, but all I have to work with is
F=ma
2 masses
Acceleration

So only guess I have is because the blocks are being pulled horizontally the answer to part 1 might be just FofBlock2 - FofBlock1 = T1? (If you look at the diagram it makes more sense!)

For part 2 I have no idea..

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use F=ma to calculate the force on the left hand block. Then consider the total force on the right-hand block.

What do you mean by consider it?

Notion said:
What do you mean by consider it?
Write an expression for the net force on the right hand block. What value does it need to have to produce the desired acceleration?

We already have acceleration though?

But on the right hand block would FofBlck1= Ftotal - FofBlock2 ?

And how do I find T2?

Notion said:
We already have acceleration though?

But on the right hand block would FofBlck1= Ftotal - FofBlock2 ?

And how do I find T2?
What do you mean by these quantities: FofBlck1, FofBlock2, Ftotal ?

The tension, T1 in rope 1 is the force acting to the right on block, B1.

The tension, T2 in rope 2 is the force acting to the left on block, B1.

The tension, T2 in rope 2 is also equal the force acting on block, B2, but it acts to the right on B2.

What's the net force on each block?

What is tension?

Tension is a pulling force that occurs when an object is pulled in opposite directions. It is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or wire when it is pulled tight.

What factors influence the tension of a rope between two blocks?

The tension of a rope between two blocks is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the blocks, the angle of the rope, and the coefficient of friction between the rope and the blocks.

How is tension calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

What happens to the tension if the mass of the blocks is increased?

If the mass of the blocks is increased, the tension in the rope will also increase. This is because the force required to support the increased weight of the blocks will increase the tension in the rope.

Can the tension in a rope be greater than the weight of the blocks?

Yes, the tension in a rope can be greater than the weight of the blocks. This can happen if the blocks are accelerating, as the tension will need to be large enough to overcome the force of gravity and accelerate the blocks.