Tension problem for ball on string in circle radius - NEED HELP

• Thread starter tatsalez
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A person whirls a ball and string in a vertical circle of radius 1.50m. The ball travels at a constant speed of 6.50 m/s around the circular path; its mass is 55.0g. What is the tension in the string at (a) the bottom and (b) the top.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking a free body diagram but no idea how to start it. And what would it look like.

Can anyone give me a good start, or a detailed layout of how you worked the problem.

Thank you,
Matt

Answers and Replies

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A person whirls a ball and string in a vertical circle of radius 1.50m. The ball travels at a constant speed of 6.50 m/s around the circular path; its mass is 55.0g. What is the tension in the string at (a) the bottom and (b) the top.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking a free body diagram but no idea how to start it. And what would it look like.

Can anyone give me a good start, or a detailed layout of how you worked the problem.

Thank you,
Matt
If it is describing circular motion vertically, what forces are acting on it from gravity and from the string?

It would be Ftension pointing upwards, and Mg ( mass x gravity ) pointing downwards. Is that correct?

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
It would be Ftension pointing upwards, and Mg ( mass x gravity ) pointing downwards. Is that correct?
What is the source of the tension as a result of its circular motion?