Tensor Fields - Tensor Product of Two Gradient Operators

In summary, tensor fields are mathematical functions that assign tensors to each point in a given space. They are used to represent physical quantities and can be combined through operations such as the tensor product. This product is calculated by applying the product rule of differentiation to the two gradient operators. Tensor fields are significant in physics as they allow for the description of complex systems and are used in various real-world applications such as engineering, computer graphics, and medical imaging.
barnflakes
I'm trying to re-derive a result in a paper that I'm struggling with. Here is the problem:

I wish to calculate [tex] (\nabla \otimes \nabla) h [/tex] where [itex] \nabla [/itex] is defined as [tex] \nabla = \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \hat{\mathbf{r}}+ \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial \psi} \hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} [/tex] and [itex]h[/itex] is a scalar field.

I got something like this:

[tex] (\nabla \otimes \nabla) = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2}\hat{\mathbf{r}} \otimes \hat{\mathbf{r}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial \psi} \right)\hat{\mathbf{r}} \otimes \hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \psi \partial r}\hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} \otimes \hat{\mathbf{r}} + \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \psi^2} \hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} \otimes \hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} [/tex]

but I have a feeling this is wrong.

After that I wish to calculate [tex] \mathbf{r} \cdot (\nabla \otimes \nabla) [/tex] where [itex] \hat{\mathbf{r}} [/itex] is a position vector in cylindrical coordinates, so [itex] \mathbf{r} = r \hat{\mathbf{r}}[/itex]. However, I'm now struggling with the fact that [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] can be written as either [itex]\mathbf{r} \otimes \mathbf{1}[/itex] or [itex] \mathbf{1} \otimes \mathbf{r} [/itex] and I'm not sure which one to choose.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
barnflakes said:
I'm trying to re-derive a result in a paper that I'm struggling with. Here is the problem:

I wish to calculate [tex] (\nabla \otimes \nabla) h [/tex] where [itex] \nabla [/itex] is defined as [tex] \nabla = \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \hat{\mathbf{r}}+ \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial \psi} \hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} [/tex] and [itex]h[/itex] is a scalar field.

I got something like this:

[tex] (\nabla \otimes \nabla) = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2}\hat{\mathbf{r}} \otimes \hat{\mathbf{r}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial \psi} \right)\hat{\mathbf{r}} \otimes \hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \psi \partial r}\hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} \otimes \hat{\mathbf{r}} + \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \psi^2} \hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} \otimes \hat{\boldsymbol{\psi}} [/tex]

but I have a feeling this is wrong.

This is wrong. However, your notation is ambiguous. Do you mean

$$ (\nabla \otimes \nabla) h = \nabla h \otimes \nabla h \quad ?$$
or do you mean the Hessian

$$ (\nabla \otimes \nabla) h = (\nabla_i \nabla_j h) \, e^i \otimes e^j \quad ?$$
In either case, your expression is wrong. In particular, if what you mean is the Hessian, then you will have to take into account that your unit vectors in polar coordinates are not constant.

After that I wish to calculate [tex] \mathbf{r} \cdot (\nabla \otimes \nabla) [/tex] where [itex] \hat{\mathbf{r}} [/itex] is a position vector in cylindrical coordinates, so [itex] \mathbf{r} = r \hat{\mathbf{r}}[/itex]. However, I'm now struggling with the fact that [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] can be written as either [itex]\mathbf{r} \otimes \mathbf{1}[/itex] or [itex] \mathbf{1} \otimes \mathbf{r} [/itex] and I'm not sure which one to choose.

Your tensor is symmetric, so it doesn't matter. But in general, since you're dotting ##\mathbf{r}## from the left, you should choose ##\mathbf{r} \otimes \mathbf{1}##.

Thanks for your reply. In response to your first question, I mean the latter. Do you have a reference as to what the correct expression would be?

No, but you can Google something like "Hessian in spherical coordinates".

1. What are tensor fields?

A tensor field is a mathematical concept used in the study of physics and mathematics. It is a function that assigns a tensor to each point in a given space. Tensors are objects that can represent physical quantities such as forces, velocities, and stresses.

2. What is the tensor product of two gradient operators?

The tensor product of two gradient operators is a mathematical operation that combines two gradient operators to create a new, more complex operator. It is used to describe the behavior of a physical system that exhibits multiple properties or characteristics.

3. How is the tensor product of two gradient operators calculated?

The tensor product of two gradient operators is calculated by taking the product of the two operators and applying the product rule of differentiation. This results in a new operator that is a combination of the original two operators.

4. What is the significance of tensor fields in physics?

Tensor fields are significant in physics because they allow us to describe the behavior of physical systems in multiple dimensions and account for various properties and interactions. They are used in fields such as electromagnetism, general relativity, and fluid dynamics.

5. How are tensor fields used in real-world applications?

Tensor fields are used in a variety of real-world applications, including engineering, computer graphics, and medical imaging. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and help us understand and predict their behavior. For example, in medical imaging, tensor fields can be used to map out the diffusion of water molecules in the brain, providing valuable information for diagnosing neurological disorders.