1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal velocity of a steel ball

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Hi I doing a coursework on finding the terminal velocity of a steel ball in a liquid at different temperatures

How is my graph suppose to like? My two variables are temperature and terminal velocity (i got my terminal velocity from speed = distance / time)
    And if possible, if you know it, what will the line look like? Is it porportional?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does the graph from your data look like?

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    I have temperature on the x axis, and terminal velocity on the y axis. My line is linear, and i think its porportional like a 45 degree line, except the last point which must be an anomalie

5. Nov 16, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

These weren't experimentally determined were they...

6. Nov 16, 2005 #5
    sorry mate i dont understand what ure on about 'experimentally determind" of course my results are inaccurate. the actual formula for finding terminal velocity is way more complex than that , but my teacher insisted on it man.

7. Nov 16, 2005 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depending on how you made your measurements, that last point may reflect a situation where the ball hadn't reached terminal velocity - just a guess.

8. Nov 16, 2005 #7
    Yeah I guess so, whats really weird about the whole thing is that the whole experiment was based on a programme, we just had to time the steel ball reaching the bottom

9. Nov 20, 2005 #8
    Increase in temperature lowers the viscosity

Terminal velocity = (2 / 9) (r² g / η) (ρ - ρ')

Where r=radius, g=gravity, η=viscosity, ρ= density of steel, ρ'=density of the liquid

So, if η decreases, velocity increases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?