Viscosity by Falling Sphere Equations

• Thread starter xenoidmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Viscosity
xenoidmaster
Homework Statement
I have recently conducted an experiment to measure the viscosity of some liquids using the falling sphere method and a high-speed camera. I used different diameters of sphere starting from 2.5, 5, 10, 15 and 20 mm. What I want to prove using stokes law equation is that diameter of sphere doesn't affect viscosity of a liquid and it will stay the same. I guess it's okay if it has a little bit different viscosity for each diameter, however when I calculate using the stokes law formula, the difference is so big and when I compared it to the real viscosity of the liquid it's also so different. The liquid is water, which was supposed to have 0.001 Pas, but my calculated value is around 0.84 Pas. I need help, does diameter affect viscosity? if I'm not wrong it only affects the terminal velocity. How please??
Relevant Equations
η = 2gr^2(d'– d)/9v
where:
v is the particles' terminal velocity velocity (m/s),
r is the radius of the sphere,
g is the gravitational acceleration,
d' is the density of the falling sphere,
d is the density of the liquid,
and η is the viscosity.
I have recently conducted an experiment to measure the viscosity of some liquids using the falling sphere method and a high-speed camera. I used different diameters of sphere starting from 2.5, 5, 10, 15 and 20 mm. What I want to prove using stokes law equation is that diameter of sphere doesn't affect viscosity of a liquid and it will stay the same. I guess it's okay if it has a little bit different viscosity for each diameter, however when I calculate using the stokes law formula, the difference is so big and when I compared it to the real viscosity of the liquid it's also so different. The liquid is water, which was supposed to have 0.001 Pas, but my calculated value is around 0.84 Pas. I need help, does diameter affect viscosity? if I'm not wrong it only affects the terminal velocity. How please??

Physics news on Phys.org
xenoidmaster said:
Homework Statement: I have recently conducted an experiment to measure the viscosity of some liquids using the falling sphere method and a high-speed camera. I used different diameters of sphere starting from 2.5, 5, 10, 15 and 20 mm. What I want to prove using stokes law equation is that diameter of sphere doesn't affect viscosity of a liquid and it will stay the same. I guess it's okay if it has a little bit different viscosity for each diameter, however when I calculate using the stokes law formula, the difference is so big and when I compared it to the real viscosity of the liquid it's also so different. The liquid is water, which was supposed to have 0.001 Pas, but my calculated value is around 0.84 Pas. I need help, does diameter affect viscosity? if I'm not wrong it only affects the terminal velocity. How please??
Relevant Equations: η = 2gr^2(d'– d)/9v
where:
v is the particles' terminal velocity velocity (m/s),
r is the radius of the sphere,
g is the gravitational acceleration,
d' is the density of the falling sphere,
d is the density of the liquid,
and η is the viscosity.

What's the Reynolds number for the sphere falling in water? Stokes law is valid for laminar flow.

i.e. Does the velocity of the sphere as it falls match expectations for the equation of motion:

$$ m\dot v = mg - \beta v $$

Where ##\beta## is approximately constant?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Just to check, please post one set of values of all the measurements, quoting units.

Likes erobz

1. What is the equation for calculating viscosity using the falling sphere method?

The equation for calculating viscosity using the falling sphere method is known as Stokes' Law, which is given by: η = (2/9) * (ρ_s - ρ) * g * a^2 / v, where η is the viscosity of the fluid, ρ_s is the density of the sphere, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, a is the radius of the sphere, and v is the terminal velocity of the sphere.

2. What are the assumptions made in the falling sphere method for calculating viscosity?

The assumptions made in the falling sphere method for calculating viscosity include: the fluid is Newtonian, the sphere is solid and smooth, the sphere is falling in a vertical column of fluid with no disturbances, and the Reynolds number is small (Re << 1).

3. How is the terminal velocity of the falling sphere measured in the falling sphere method?

The terminal velocity of the falling sphere is measured by recording the time it takes for the sphere to fall a certain distance through the fluid. By measuring the distance and time, the terminal velocity can be calculated using the equation v = d / t, where v is the terminal velocity, d is the distance fallen, and t is the time taken.

4. What are the factors that can affect the accuracy of viscosity measurements using the falling sphere method?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of viscosity measurements using the falling sphere method include: variations in temperature, pressure, and density of the fluid, irregularities in the shape or size of the sphere, disturbances in the fluid flow, and errors in measuring the terminal velocity of the sphere.

5. How can the falling sphere method be used to determine the viscosity of non-Newtonian fluids?

The falling sphere method can be adapted to determine the viscosity of non-Newtonian fluids by using different equations that account for the non-linear relationship between shear stress and shear rate in these fluids. One common approach is to use the power-law model to analyze the data obtained from the falling sphere experiment and calculate the viscosity of the non-Newtonian fluid.