Terminology, pressure of gas in fluid (quick question)

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Would it be correct to say the following...

CO2 for example can change the surface tension of water from 72 mN m−1 to 57 mN m−1 as its pressure changes from 1 to 11 bar.

I'm used to dealing with concentrations, in fact I would like to change bar to volume percent if anyone has a free moment and might suggest a method and the values I would need.

Thanks for any help with this.

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Check the context (reference?): it seems to me they may refer to the CO2 pressure above the water.

Check the context (reference?): it seems to me they may refer to the CO2 pressure above the water.
Hm, here is the paper (info given about 1/4 down the abstract):

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021979796902726

Also

A sensitive pressure transducer capable of resolving one part in a hundred thousand was connected into the pipework, and enabled accurate measurement of the absolute pressure, while a similarly accurate external barometer allowed us to record the atmospheric pressure.
It does say 1 to 11 bar absolute, would that that give any indication as to whether it's the pressure in the water or above? I assumed (which is why I wasn't sure of the context) that if a liquid is pressurised with gas then that would indicate how much is in there (partial pressure?) is that incorrect?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
I'm convinced it's the pressure of CO2 above the liquid. "how much is in there" isn't expressed in terms of a pressure but in molality, molarity or some similar concentration (e.g. g/100 g solvent). Check out Henry's law.

Likes rwooduk
I'm convinced it's the pressure of CO2 above the liquid. "how much is in there" isn't expressed in terms of a pressure but in molality, molarity or some similar concentration (e.g. g/100 g solvent). Check out Henry's law.
Ok thanks very much for the help!