1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminology, pressure of gas in fluid (quick question)

1. Jan 1, 2017 #1
    Would it be correct to say the following...

CO2 for example can change the surface tension of water from 72 mN m−1 to 57 mN m−1 as its pressure changes from 1 to 11 bar.

I'm used to dealing with concentrations, in fact I would like to change bar to volume percent if anyone has a free moment and might suggest a method and the values I would need.

Thanks for any help with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the context (reference?): it seems to me they may refer to the CO2 pressure above the water.

4. Jan 1, 2017 #3
    Hm, here is the paper (info given about 1/4 down the abstract):

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021979796902726

Also

It does say 1 to 11 bar absolute, would that that give any indication as to whether it's the pressure in the water or above? I assumed (which is why I wasn't sure of the context) that if a liquid is pressurised with gas then that would indicate how much is in there (partial pressure?) is that incorrect?

5. Jan 1, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm convinced it's the pressure of CO2 above the liquid. "how much is in there" isn't expressed in terms of a pressure but in molality, molarity or some similar concentration (e.g. g/100 g solvent). Check out Henry's law.

6. Jan 2, 2017 #5
    Ok thanks very much for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted