Text from scammer originating from email address rather than phone

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In my texting program I don't have the option of deleting texts originating from emails; can only block phone numbers.
Hi,
I received a scam text with links included on my Android S9 phone. Sender appears as an email address, rather than as a phone number. My texting program allows the blocking of phone number does not include the feature of blocking the originating email address. Any ideas of how else I can block an email address or otherwise prevent the sender?

Answers and Replies

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
As far as I know, messages not originating from phone numbers cannot be blocked, at least on Android. In my country, too, we receive spam (but sometimes important messages too) from addresses such as AB-CDEFGH. The only way to "block" these is to use an app like Truecaller which hides (not blocks) these messages from the normal inbox, shows them under a separate "Spam" view, and automatically deletes them after a set interval has elapsed.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The "Add to contacts" option doesn't even exist for such messages in my Android device, running Android 12.
Mine does, but the option to block the sender does not.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Mine does, but the option to block the sender does not.
My Android does, and it also gives me the block option. I have a Moto-E phone with Android 10.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My Android does, and it also gives me the block option. I have a Moto-E phone with Android 10.
Mine is a Galaxy S9.It either doesn't give me that option or I haven't found it.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Mine is a Galaxy S9.It either doesn't give me that option or I haven't found it.
I like to use Youtube for cases such as this. See if you can find a video telling how to do the blocking you want on a Galaxy phone.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I like to use Youtube for cases such as this. See if you can find a video telling how to do the blocking you want on a Galaxy phone.
I've had better luck with Super User : superuser.com

Suggested for: Text from scammer originating from email address rather than phone

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views