Text from scammer originating from email address rather than phone

In summary: I've had better luck with Super User : superuser.com/questions/53810/how-to-block-text-messages-on-an-android-phone

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In my texting program I don't have the option of deleting texts originating from emails; can only block phone numbers.
Hi,
I received a scam text with links included on my Android S9 phone. Sender appears as an email address, rather than as a phone number. My texting program allows the blocking of phone number does not include the feature of blocking the originating email address. Any ideas of how else I can block an email address or otherwise prevent the sender?

Computer science news on Phys.org
As far as I know, messages not originating from phone numbers cannot be blocked, at least on Android. In my country, too, we receive spam (but sometimes important messages too) from addresses such as AB-CDEFGH. The only way to "block" these is to use an app like Truecaller which hides (not blocks) these messages from the normal inbox, shows them under a separate "Spam" view, and automatically deletes them after a set interval has elapsed.

Likes WWGD
Wrichik Basu said:
The "Add to contacts" option doesn't even exist for such messages in my Android device, running Android 12.
Mine does, but the option to block the sender does not.

WWGD said:
Mine does, but the option to block the sender does not.
My Android does, and it also gives me the block option. I have a Moto-E phone with Android 10.

Likes WWGD
anorlunda said:
My Android does, and it also gives me the block option. I have a Moto-E phone with Android 10.
Mine is a Galaxy S9.It either doesn't give me that option or I haven't found it.

WWGD said:
Mine is a Galaxy S9.It either doesn't give me that option or I haven't found it.
I like to use Youtube for cases such as this. See if you can find a video telling how to do the blocking you want on a Galaxy phone.

Likes WWGD
anorlunda said:
I like to use Youtube for cases such as this. See if you can find a video telling how to do the blocking you want on a Galaxy phone.
I've had better luck with Super User : superuser.com

1. How can I tell if a text message from a scammer is originating from an email address rather than a phone number?

The easiest way to tell if a text message is coming from an email address is to check the sender's number. If the number is a long string of numbers and symbols, it is likely originating from an email address rather than a phone number. Additionally, if you reply to the text message and it goes to an email address instead of a phone number, this is another indication that the message is coming from an email address.

2. Why do scammers use email addresses to send text messages instead of phone numbers?

Scammers often use email addresses to send text messages because it is easier for them to hide their identity. They can create fake email addresses without being traced, whereas phone numbers are often linked to a person's identity. This makes it harder for authorities to track down the scammer.

3. What should I do if I receive a text message from a scammer originating from an email address?

If you receive a text message from a scammer originating from an email address, do not reply or engage with the message. It is best to delete the message and block the sender. If the message is threatening or involves personal information, you should report it to your local authorities.

4. Can I get a virus from a text message originating from an email address?

Yes, it is possible to get a virus from a text message originating from an email address. Scammers often use text messages to send links that contain viruses or malware. It is important to never click on links from unknown sources, especially if they are coming from an email address instead of a phone number.

5. How can I protect myself from falling for a scam from a text message originating from an email address?

The best way to protect yourself from falling for a scam from a text message originating from an email address is to be cautious and follow these tips: do not click on links or reply to messages from unknown senders, do not give out personal information, and report any suspicious activity to your local authorities.

Suggested for: Text from scammer originating from email address rather than phone

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views