Gmail: trying to hide the address I'm sending email from

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, the speaker has a university email address and a Gmail account, and usually forwards all emails to their Gmail account but replies using an option that uses their university address. However, this sometimes results in a message appearing in the header of the reply. They are looking for a way to prevent this and have a centralized Gmail address for all their emails without revealing their personal address. Google has a feature that allows using one's domain's email server to send emails without showing the "On Behalf" text, but the speaker has not yet authenticated their school's email address. They are also hesitant about people knowing their email address and want to know why this is an issue.
Simfish
Gold Member
Okay, so basically I have a university email address and a gmail account. Generally I autoforward all emails to my gmail account and reply to the emails by using an option that replies to emails by my university address rather than my Gmail account. But sometimes this option results in this message occurring in the header of the previous reply:

"From: n/a [mailto:n/a ] On Behalf Of XXXXX"

Does anyone know an easy way to prevent this from happening? I want a centralized Gmail address for all the emails I use, but yet I don't necessarily want people to know my gmail address. I could just create another email address but that means the inconvenience of checking (and backing up) two email accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
You don't want some people knowing the sending email address of what they receive?
Why?

I would be very suspicious.

1. Why would someone want to hide their email address when sending emails from Gmail?

There are a few reasons one might want to hide their email address when sending emails from Gmail. Perhaps they are sending a sensitive or confidential email and do not want their personal email address to be visible to the recipient. Alternatively, they may be sending the email on behalf of a company or organization and want to use a generic email address for a more professional appearance.

2. Is it possible to completely hide my email address when sending emails from Gmail?

No, it is not possible to completely hide your email address when sending emails from Gmail. Your email address will always be visible to the recipient in some form, whether it is in the "From" field or in the email header. However, there are ways to mask your email address or use a different email address when sending emails through Gmail.

3. How can I hide my email address when sending emails from Gmail?

One option is to use the "Send Mail As" feature in Gmail. This allows you to send emails from a different email address that you own, without revealing your personal email address. You can also use third-party email masking services or create a new email address specifically for sending emails from Gmail.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to hiding my email address when sending emails from Gmail?

Yes, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. If you are using a different email address to send emails from Gmail, you may not receive replies to those emails in your personal inbox. Additionally, some email recipients may view the use of a masked or generic email address as suspicious and may be less likely to open or respond to your emails.

5. Is there a way to automatically hide my email address when sending emails from Gmail?

Yes, you can set up your Gmail account to always send emails from a different email address using the "Send Mail As" feature. This will automatically hide your personal email address whenever you send an email from Gmail. However, you may still need to manually change the "From" field if you want to use a different email address for a specific email.