Textbook picture: Is direction of this eddy current wrong?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the direction of induced currents in a suspended aluminium ring when a magnetic field is turned on and off. There is also a mention of a minor nitpick about the flux lines and the convention of indicating the flow of negative charges in textbooks. The speakers agree that this convention may cause confusion for students in the long run.
greypilgrim
Hi.

This is from a high school textbook, in a chapter about eddy currents and Lenz's law. In a), a magnetic field is turned on, in b) it's turned off, which both induces a current in a suspended aluminium ring:
SCAN0010.png

I think the direction of the current is wrong in both pictures. Any opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Agree with you. Flux (broken lines) due to induced current (if circuit were complete) is in right direction in both cases, but induced current is in wrong direction in both cases.

Other minor nitpicks: (1) Since the conductor is a single loop, not a solenoid, the flux due to the induced current won't be parallel to axis throughout the cross-section, (2) I'd have thought also that the flux lines tightly wrapped around the conductor ought to be broken rather than full, but maybe I'm being stupid here.

Pity, because the artwork is so beautiful.

Does the author state the I ( cuurent ) protocol. Perhaps it refers to electron flow.

256bits said:
Does the author state the I ( cuurent ) protocol. Perhaps it refers to electron flow.
I've been using this book for almost two years now and only realized now that they indeed indicate the flow of negative charges, i.e. electrons. They don't write the ##I## arrow often, in the DC chapter they write only + and - poles which make it clear (obviously this is not possible for induced currents), which is why it probably took me so long.

I think I see this convention in an increasing number of "modern" school textbooks, probably to make it easier for students to use their mental picture of moving electrons. But are there major university level textbooks or publications that do this as well? None that I know of and I highly doubt there are, since this would mean redefining current density as well and therefore introducing minuses in the fourth Maxwell equation and the continuity equation, which would just look weird.

So the confusion will start at the latest when those students enter university and probably much earlier when they try and find explanations or exercises on the internet where the other convention is used. I don't think those "modern" textbooks are doing the students much favor...

Likes Thomas Tucker
greypilgrim said:
I don't think those "modern" textbooks are doing the students much favor...

Agree entirely. In my experience students learning electricity for the first time quickly get used to electrons moving in the opposite direction to the conventional current in metals. It's only a minor and temporary nuisance.

1. What is an eddy current?

An eddy current is a circular electric current that is induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. It is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the conductor.

2. How does the direction of an eddy current affect its behavior?

The direction of an eddy current is important because it determines the direction in which the magnetic field is created around the conductor. This, in turn, affects the force and motion of the conductor in the presence of the magnetic field.

3. What is the correct direction of an eddy current in a textbook picture?

In a textbook picture, the correct direction of an eddy current is typically shown as circular loops around the conductor, with the direction of the current being perpendicular to the direction of the changing magnetic field.

4. Why might the direction of an eddy current be shown incorrectly in a textbook picture?

There could be a variety of reasons why the direction of an eddy current is shown incorrectly in a textbook picture. It could be due to a mistake by the illustrator or a simplification for instructional purposes. It could also be due to the orientation of the conductor in relation to the magnetic field, which can affect the direction of the current.

5. How can the direction of an eddy current be determined accurately?

The direction of an eddy current can be determined accurately by using the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the magnetic field, the direction of your fingers wrapped around the conductor will indicate the direction of the eddy current.