1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook Recommendation for General Physics

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    I seek a recommendation for a comprehensive calculus-based general physics textbook, one that would include an introduction to relativity and quantum theory and whatever else comprises modern physics.

I would prefer a calculus-based textbook where the derivation of the algebraic formulae used in first and second year physics is also demonstrated, if not the derivation of other formulae.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2
    You can use Fundamentals of Physics by Haliday and Resnick.There is a chapter on special relativity and few chapters on basic quantum mechanics.Also there are plenty of exercises of varying difficulty level.If you want something of higher level then you must try the Berkeley Physics Course.I think thats one of the best book for general physics.Of course its more challenging.

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3
    Yep, you can buy a 6th edition copy of Halliday/Resnick for about $3 plus shipping from Amazon Marketplace. Great text.

5. Aug 8, 2008 #4
    I can't stop raving about Alonso & Finn.

6. Aug 8, 2008 #5
    try out for "concepts of Modern Physics"- Arthur Beiser....the basics of modern physics is explanied very clearly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?