Textbooks with a focus on how things were discovered?

In summary, these books offer excellent resources for someone who wants to learn more about the history and development of mathematics and physics. They provide detailed explanations of concepts, rigorous definitions, and practical applications.
kirsty
maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places or its too much detail for one text. all the books i find just give an overview of this without going into detail. I'm teaching myself maths, physics, chemistry and molecular biology, and I'm trying to understand the fundamental concepts (ive learned them before but i didnt bother trying to understand why they are true, i just accepted it, because i don't think they really taught us this in school). I want to find detailed descriptions of what experiments were done, how they were done and the reasoning behind them; and for maths i want rigorous definitions and proofs and what practical applications there are. it would really help if they make it easy to understand too. are there any good books or textbooks from any of these areas that have this? if not, any tips for researching this stuff? thanks for your help :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would be better off just reading the actual paper published by the discoverer of whatever you wish to learn about. What you want is not something that a textbook is intended to offer.

Why don't you take a look at my blog...

www.howdoweknowit.com

/shamelessselfpromotion

Likes slider142
kirsty said:
maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places or its too much detail for one text. all the books i find just give an overview of this without going into detail. I'm teaching myself maths, physics, chemistry and molecular biology, and I'm trying to understand the fundamental concepts (ive learned them before but i didnt bother trying to understand why they are true, i just accepted it, because i don't think they really taught us this in school). I want to find detailed descriptions of what experiments were done, how they were done and the reasoning behind them; and for maths i want rigorous definitions and proofs and what practical applications there are. it would really help if they make it easy to understand too. are there any good books or textbooks from any of these areas that have this? if not, any tips for researching this stuff? thanks for your help :)
The history is usually separate because it is unfortunately convoluted: ideas were gained, lost, misdirected, and rediscovered in seemingly unrelated fields over and over again. In many cases, the order in which topics are introduced today are not the order in which they were discovered: the original discoveries remained vague or ungrounded until decades or centuries later. So I understand why the most efficient methods of presenting new concepts are not usually aligned with presenting their history as well. However, I have also pursued the history of various concepts independently of learning the topics. I've found the following books to be excellent.
John Stillwell's Mathematics and Its History
Stephen Hawking's The Dreams That Stuff Is Made Of
Eli Maor's e: The Story of a Number
Paul Nahin's An Imaginary Tale: The Story of [itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex]
Roger Penrose's The Road to Reality
Taylor/Wheeler's Spacetime Physics
The latter does not teach special relativity historically, but its exercises are full of actual experiments and references to landmark research papers that will provide the realistic viewpoint of what specific empirical results we base our understanding of special relativity on.

I can understand your frustration with the lack of detail in textbooks. It is important to understand the history and reasoning behind scientific discoveries in order to fully grasp the concepts and their applications.

My first suggestion would be to look for textbooks that specifically focus on the history of science or the development of certain scientific disciplines. These types of textbooks often provide more in-depth explanations and descriptions of experiments and their results.

Another option would be to search for scientific papers or articles that discuss the specific experiments and their findings. These can often be found through online databases or by contacting experts in the field. Reading primary sources can provide a deeper understanding of the experiments and their significance.

Additionally, there are many online resources available that provide detailed explanations and demonstrations of scientific concepts. These can include videos, interactive simulations, and online courses. These resources can be a great supplement to traditional textbooks.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out to professors or experts in the field for guidance and recommendations. They can provide valuable insights and point you in the direction of reputable sources for further research.

In summary, there are many options available for finding detailed information on how scientific discoveries were made. It may require some extra effort and research, but understanding the history and reasoning behind these discoveries will greatly enhance your understanding of the fundamental concepts.

1. How do textbooks with a focus on how things were discovered differ from traditional textbooks?

Textbooks with a focus on how things were discovered often provide more context and history behind scientific discoveries, rather than just presenting facts and theories. They may also include more personal accounts and anecdotes from the scientists involved in the discoveries.

2. Are these textbooks suitable for both beginners and advanced students?

Yes, textbooks with a focus on how things were discovered can be useful for both beginners and advanced students. Beginners can benefit from understanding the historical context of scientific discoveries, while advanced students can gain a deeper understanding of the scientific process and how theories and ideas develop over time.

3. Can these textbooks be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

These textbooks can be used for both self-study and classroom use. They often include engaging and informative narratives that make them well-suited for self-study, but they can also be used in a classroom setting to supplement lectures and discussions about specific scientific discoveries.

4. Do these textbooks cover a wide range of scientific disciplines?

Yes, textbooks with a focus on how things were discovered can cover a wide range of scientific disciplines, including biology, chemistry, physics, and more. They may also include interdisciplinary topics, such as the history of science and the social and cultural impacts of scientific discoveries.

5. Are these textbooks primarily focused on Western scientific discoveries or do they also cover discoveries from other parts of the world?

While many textbooks with a focus on how things were discovered may have a Western perspective, there are also textbooks that cover discoveries from other parts of the world. It is important to research and select a textbook that aligns with the specific focus and cultural context you are looking for.