That Age-Old Question - Online Physics Degrees

In summary, the Open University and SUNY (via Empire State) offer a science degree with a concentration in physics. But what does that mean? My investigations show that the Open University and SUNY (via Empire State) offer a science degree with a concentration in physics. But what does that mean? I’m a math major at Indiana University, but my passion is physics.If you're already at Indiana University, why not try and switch to a physics major there? The Open University has a great reputation in the UK. I did a science degree with a concentration in physics, at another UK university, and it didn't hold me back from doing further studies in physics. It just means you miss out on taking some optional
Gimblestitch
Is it possible to attain an online undergraduate physics degree in the United States? My investigations show that the Open University and SUNY (via Empire State) offer a science degree with a concentration in physics. But what does that mean? I’m a math major at Indiana University, but my passion is physics.

Thanks,

Gimblestitch

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I'm quadriplegic. I'm studying mathematics at Indiana University East, which is 100% online. It's the closest thing I could find to physics, but hoary proofs don't really interest me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible or not, it's not advisable. If you're already at Indiana University, why not try and switch to a physics major there?

The Open University has a great reputation in the UK. I did a science degree with a concentration in physics, at another UK university, and it didn't hold me back from doing further studies in physics. It just means you miss out on taking some optional advanced courses in physics. So if you were British I would say: don't hesitate. But the US situation might make things a bit awkward. For instance, do you want to go to graduate school in physics? If so, I'm not sure how an OU general science degree would pan out in that situation. You need to ask the OU these kinds of questions directly.

Thank you. OU is my first choice. And, yes, I should like to get a Master's degree.

Last time I looked, the OU had some good physics courses up to BSc level, but the science MSc didn't have many (if any) physics options. BUT the MSc in mathematics might be suitable as you can take applied maths courses, and avoid most of the "proof stuff"; also you might be able to take a physics based research project - but check on that before signing up!

Likes 1 person
Thank you all for the sagacious advice. SUNY has only two physics courses, so I'm off to OU!

Note that the OU does have a physics strand in their Science degree:

http://www.open.ac.uk/science/physical-science/courses-and-qualifications/physics-strand

Interesting. Thanks.

OU also has a new Mathematics and Physics degree. But I don't know what is available to students in the United States.

The OU has a good reputation in the UK among both academics and in industry. E.g. people have gotten into Oxbridge on the strength of their OU undergraduate degrees (and whatever else). The OU can help explain the nature of their study mode etc. to e.g. potential employers outside the UK if a student requires this, although with the recent growth in distance learning, this might not be so necessary.

Good luck.

P.S. As I understand it, the Natural Science degree, physics track, is a physics degree, by some other name. Your specific module choices and grades will be on your transcript. That will matter more where possession of a physics degree is relevant.

Thanks, pi. I saw their BSc in Maths (I'm trying to talk British) & Physics - not available in the US currently.

Gimblestitch said:
Thanks, pi. I saw their BSc in Maths (I'm trying to talk British...).

The OU don't make that a requirement :)

Likes 1 person
I've been watching Doctor Who also. :-S

The OU have always had close contacts with the BBC, as a geeky kid I used to watch OU programmes on Saturday mornings. Now, of course, you can find stuff on utube, like:

Not Dr Who, but he's outranked by Prof. Andy Norton who keeps on popping up on the BBC. Trivia question: can you name the famous British comedian doing the voice over in the cartoon. Hint - he's married to a European poker champion...

I love BBC America - it's wicked, as they say. I particularly like Markus du Satoy; we were born on the exact same day.

Answer: probably not Benny Hill; maybe one of Monty Pythons, let's guess Terry Gilliam [sp?]?

Nope David Mitchell - you're probably wondering who that is, here he is talking to an equally famous Irish comedian who I also doubt has made it over the pond:

Dara actually has an MSc in physics and you'll often see him with his straight man, Brian Cox, doing OU/BBC co-productions.

1. What is an online physics degree?

An online physics degree is a program that allows students to earn a degree in physics through online courses and virtual learning platforms. It is designed for students who are unable to attend traditional on-campus classes due to various reasons such as work, family obligations, or geographical constraints.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing an online physics degree?

Some of the benefits of pursuing an online physics degree include flexibility, convenience, and cost-effectiveness. Students can study at their own pace and schedule, without having to commute to a physical campus. This allows them to balance their studies with other commitments. Additionally, online programs often have lower tuition fees and students can save on other expenses such as transportation and housing.

3. Are online physics degrees the same as on-campus degrees?

Online physics degrees are typically similar to on-campus degrees in terms of curriculum and requirements. The main difference is the mode of delivery – online programs use virtual platforms for lectures, assignments, and exams, while on-campus programs have in-person classes. The degree earned through an online program is also the same as the one earned through a traditional on-campus program.

4. Can I get a job with an online physics degree?

Yes, an online physics degree can open up job opportunities in various fields such as research, engineering, education, and technology. Employers value the skills and knowledge gained through an online physics degree, as it demonstrates the ability to work independently and manage time effectively.

5. Is an online physics degree as rigorous as an on-campus degree?

Yes, online physics degrees are just as rigorous as on-campus degrees. The curriculum and requirements are the same, and students are expected to meet the same academic standards. Online programs also have the added challenge of self-discipline and time management, as students must stay motivated and keep up with the coursework without the structure of in-person classes.