The allowed radii and energies of positronium

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
squelch
Gold Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Positronium is a hydrogen-like atom consisting of a proton and an electron revolving around each other. Find the allowed radii and energies of the system.

Homework Equations



See solution attempt.

The Attempt at a Solution



The allowed radii of the positron/electron system are given by [itex]r = \frac{{4{n^2}\pi {\varepsilon _0}{\hbar ^2}}}{{\mu {e^2}}}[/itex] where [itex]\mu = \frac{{{m_{positron}}{m_e}}}{{{m_{positron}} + {m_e}}}[/itex] and n={1,2,3,...}

The allowed energies of the positron/electron system are given by [itex]{E_n} = - \frac{{\mu {e^4}}}{{2{n^2}{{(4\pi {\varepsilon _0})}^2}{\hbar ^2}}}[/itex]

It just seemed suspiciously simple. Is this all they're really asking me to state? I mean, other than calculating it all out and leaving it as a function of n times a constant.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just in case that was what I needed to do, I calculated the following allowable radii and energies, using the reduced mass:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}<br /> {r_n} = {n^2}(1.05835 \times {10^{ - 10}} m)\\<br /> {E_n} = \frac{1}{{{n^2}}}( - 6.8032eV)<br /> \end{array}[/tex]