The Appeal of Dressing Fashionably for Men

  • Thread starter Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
352 replies · 42K views
mcknia07
Messages
284
Reaction score
7
Why don't more guys dress more fashionable? I saw a nice looking guy come into work today all dressed up (very prim and proper). It's a very attractive look that any lady would fall for. A nice well suited up man anywhere, you will see ever lady look in awe over them :biggrin:

I sometimes have to help buy my dad's clothes so he doesn't mix-n-match when they don't even remotely go together.:rolleyes:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, more guys dress fashionably than any other way.
 
define "fashionably," please. its a common misconception based on ones opinion. some people might say i dress nice but someone else would say that i dress like a slob.
 
Men tend not to be as interested in 'fashionable' dress as women. Nice clothes cost more and require more maintenance. I wouldn't mind it if my clothes looked a lot nicer but I don't want to spend fifty bucks on a shirt and more on pants. I don't want to have a whole kit ready every time I wash my clothes like my roomie does (detergent, colour guard, stain remover, bleach, colour safe bleach, and faberic softener). And I don't want to have to iron my clothes everyday and worry about pleats, crisp creases, and wrinkling. I just dress nice when I'm going out for a special occasion or something.
 
I couldn't care less about clothes and appearances. I've never bought an item of clothing in years apart from shoes because they wear out.
 
I only buy from the exclusive Worzel Gummidge line.
 
I feel like I put no effort to look "fashionable" and people said I definitely dress nice.

I just buy nice clothes and not just anything (which is easy), I wear my outfits as they go together (common sense), and I keep up with my hygiene (everybody should do).

Like OMG, that is SOOOO HARD. Fashion is just so COMPLICATED... LIKE OMG!

Come on guys.
 
wolram said:
I only buy from the exclusive Worzel Gummidge line.

A very exclusive line, on might say :biggrin:

http://www.geocities.com/davidbrider/Charlotte_Coleman/Worzel_Gummidge_novel_cover.jpg
 
I only make sure that I am wearing clean clothes and clean socks. I don't go along with the fashion and rarely buy new clothes.

Right now, I have a dinner invitation (good free food and a free picture of me!) in a really good restaurant but I am not going because I would have to dress up (requirement) and I am lazy.
 
Last edited:
I used to have a lot of shirts from high school in my closet, and favorite pants that became pale from years of washing. But ever since I've upgraded I noticed receiving slightly more attention from people who are into fashion.
 
I like dressing trendy and up to date, but I hate formal looks. Too corporate drone looking. Also I find button downs and suits very uncomfortable. Give me a nice cotton/poly polo or tshirt with some lucky or guess jeans and I'm a happy man.

Also nice clothes do cost a freakin lot. I was at Selfridges in London and they had tons of amazing clothes, but that great pair of Hugo Boss jeans are going to run $300. A cool Desiel t-shirt will be $70. Business style clothes even a higher price level.
 
Since I never go out to public places, I gave all my dress clothes to charity years ago. Jeans, flannel or fleece shirts for cold weather, T-shirts for warm weather, and comfortable New Balance running shoes or Dunham walking shoes (my wife gets a HUGE discount at the factory store). I had to go to a court hearing a couple of weeks ago, and my wife had to buy me a shirt that would go with a pair of khaki pants I have, just to look presentable.

My wardrobe is minimal, comfortable, and utilitarian. I don't even own a tie.
 
Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
By definition, more guys dress fashionably than any other way.
I get where you're going with this. You're defining fashion as "the de facto standard of what men wear (even if inadvertant)".

But that claim presupposes a common element among the de facto standard. If what "most men wear" has no common element, there's nothing that can be considered fashionable.
 
turbo-1 said:
Since I never go out to public places, I gave all my dress clothes to charity years ago. Jeans, flannel or fleece garbages for cold weather, T-shirts for warm weather, and comfortable New Balance running shoes or Dunham walking shoes (my wife gets a HUGE discount at the factory store). I had to go to a court hearing a couple of weeks ago, and my wife had to buy me a shirt that would go with a pair of khaki pants I have, just to look presentable.

My wardrobe is minimal, comfortable, and utilitarian. I don't even own a tie.
Yikes! Then I for one do not want to stand near you in cold weather! :devil:

...wait for it...
 
DaveC426913 said:
Yikes! Then I for one do not want to stand near you in cold weather! :devil:

...wait for it...
I fixed the typo. :redface: How did that get past the forum's censor when so many innocent words get caught?
 
DaveC426913 said:
I get where you're going with this. You're defining fashion as "the de facto standard of what men wear (even if inadvertant)".

But that claim presupposes a common element among the de facto standard. If what "most men wear" has no common element, there's nothing that can be considered fashionable.
I doubt that most men dress in any particular way. What I said was different. What's another word for fashion?
 
Age has a lot to do with it, (as for women's opinions). I don't mind a man wearing a t-shirt and shorts or jeans if he's doing work around the house, but if we leave the house I would at least expect him to wear a nice shirt with his jeans, and preferably dress shorts or slacks. I would not feel comfortable going out with a man wearing a t-shirt. Now in my daughter's age group, I'm sure t-shirts are more common, but still a guy is expected to dress up if they go out to eat or to a club. So I think age group has a lot to do with what is considered acceptable.
 
Evo said:
Age has a lot to do with it, (as for women's opinions). I don't mind a man wearing a t-shirt and shorts or jeans if he's doing work around the house, but if we leave the house I would at least expect him to wear a nice shirt with his jeans, and preferably dress shorts or slacks. I would not feel comfortable going out with a man wearing a t-shirt. Now in my daughter's age group, I'm sure t-shirts are more common, but still a guy is expected to dress up if they go out to eat or to a club. So I think age group has a lot to do with what is considered acceptable.

When you say going out, you mean out to dinner? You can't be seen with a man in jeans and t-shirt at the mall? Personally I find button downs uncomfortable, I have yet to find one that fits my body type. Now if I go out to a nice dinner or nice occasion, I definitely will wear nice clothes.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
When you say going out, you mean out to dinner? You can't be seen with a man in jeans and t-shirt at the mall?.
I haven't been shopping at a mall with a man in over close to 20 years.:biggrin: So I guess "does not apply" would be the answer for me. Yes, going out (for me) would be a nice restaurant, club, etc...

Also, I like nice flannel shirts, sweaters and pullover shirts. If we were going to a mall, one of those 3 would be my choice. I would feel strange being seen with a man my age at a nice mall if he had a t-shirt on. My daughter's age, no problem.
 
Does it matter what the person in the clothes is like at all? :rolleyes:
 
Kurdt said:
Does it matter what the person in the clothes is like at all? :rolleyes:
The way you dress reveals something about your personality.
 
Kurdt said:
Does it matter what the person in the clothes is like at all? :rolleyes:
Of course that's most important. Hey if I was going out with a 20 something, he could wear a t-shirt. :-p If I'm going out with an old coot, he'd better have something a bit nicer on. :devil:

Trips to the hardware mega store and Walmart, t-shirts are appropriate.
 
Evo said:
Of course that's most important. Hey if I was going out with a 20 something, he could wear a t-shirt. :-p If I'm going out with an old coot, he'd better have something a bit nicer on. :devil:

So now i will just have to do some digging.
 
Evo said:
I would feel strange being seen with a man my age at a nice mall if he had a t-shirt on.
No T-shirt at the mall? You have comparatively conservative sensibilities from where I'm standing.

P.S. You feel differently about hardware stores and Walmarts. Do you see grades of malls?
 
DaveC426913 said:
No T-shirt at the mall? You have comparatively conservative sensibilities from where I'm standing.
I can honestly say that I have never been to a mall with a man in a t-shirt and I had nothing to do with it, that was their taste. My ex husband didn't even own a t-shirt, except for working out at the exercise club, not something he'd wear in public. Golf shirts yes.
 
Evo said:
I can honestly say that I have never been to a mall with a man in a t-shirt and I had nothing to do with it, that was their taste. .
Perhaps things've changed in what? ... a couple of decades... :devil:
Evo said:
My ex husband didn't even own a t-shirt, except for working out at the exercise club, not something he'd wear in public. Golf shirts yes.
Me, I'm fond of golf shirts & polo shirts too*. I have more of them than wife has dresses. But being a lazy launderer, I have a stack of T-shirts at the ready if I run out.

* I think the collars, buttons & arm detail broadens my shoulders and ... thinens my old coot's belly.
 
When I was growing up the only t-shirts I knew of were white and you wore them as underwear.
 
Evo said:
When I was growing up the only t-shirts I knew of were white and you wore them as underwear.
Holy cow! You missed the whole tie-dye fad? I do remember parts of the 60's...:rolleyes:
 
turbo-1 said:
Holy cow! You missed the whole tie-dye fad? I do remember parts of the 60's...:rolleyes:
<shudder> Yes, I managed to avoid that.