The Appeal of Dressing Fashionably for Men

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary, guys who dress fashionably tend to be more attractive to women. This is because they dress in a sophisticated way that shows they care about their appearance. They also tend to be more comfortable in formal clothing, because they don't rely on it as much. However, the cost of fashionable clothing can be prohibitive for some, and may not be necessary for others.
Monique said:
The way you dress reveals something about your personality.

I'm typically a t-shirt, hoodie, shorts and khaki pants type of person. What does that reveal about my personality?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
T-shirts are ok to wear so long as they are nice t-shirts. Usually the nice ones are expensive though ~$50-60. And I'm not paying that much for a nice T-shirt.

Colored t-shirts that you find at places like banana republic, et al. are fine. They are a solid color, usually black, charcoal, white, brown, tan, dark red. They are dressy and not terribly expensive (around $16.00 each, I think?). Those typically look quite nice. Dark Jeans, belt, solid black t-shirt, and nice shoes. It has that architect look. I personally like it.

You really can wear almost anything, so long as it looks nice and well put together.

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=35922&pid=273929&scid=273929022

That's the tshirt I have.

Are you a fashion catalogue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
Me wearing said black t-shirt:

[PLAIN]http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/2750/34806745gm6.png[/QUOTE]

I hope that isn't all!

Depending on what I'm wearing, that might suitable as an undershirt at most.

I never wear t-shirts... ever. At the gym only. I always where, button shirts or polos. Which can be worn with different sweaters (or a sweater on its own), or a jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:
JasonRox said:
Are you a fashion catalogue?

Huh?

JasonRox said:
I hope that isn't all!

Depending on what I'm wearing, that might suitable as an undershirt at most.

I never wear t-shirts... ever. At the gym only. I always where, button shirts or polos. Which can be worn with different sweaters (or a sweater on its own), or a jacket.

Um, no. Thanks for your wrong opinion though. I agree with your style; however, you CAN wear a t-shirt alone. Summer time is too hot for a sweater/jacket. Polos all the time is too monotonous.

Cyrus said:
Um, no. Thanks for your wrong opinion though. I agree with your style; however, you CAN wear a t-shirt alone.

Sorry dude, doesn't work.

It looks straight out of a Sears catalogue regardless of where it's from. If you had an athletic build it can work, otherwise no.

Kind of a like a fat chick wearing a bikini. Some items are suited for particular body types.

Cyrus said:
Polos all the time is too monotonous.

I agree, but it's all I got for now.

I think my big issue is pants. I get sick of my pants really fast. I just completely changed like 3 months ago and I feel like I need a change again.

JasonRox said:
Sorry dude, doesn't work.

It looks straight out of a Sears catalogue regardless of where it's from. If you had an athletic build it can work, otherwise no.

Kind of a like a fat chick wearing a bikini. Some items are suited for particular body types.

Nope, you're wrong.

Cyrus said:
I totally agree! :smile:

Ah, that's better. o:)

JasonRox said:
Cyrus, you are amazing...IN BED :devil:

You're making me blush.

Cyrus said:
You're making me blush.

Your turn tonight.

Ohh la la...umm...ok

mcknia07 said:
Ohh la la...umm...ok

Would you like to join us?

Oh sure, sounds like a date to me.

mcknia07 said:
Ohh la la...umm...ok

They are talking the way models talk with each other ... :rofl:

Ok, maybe I am wrong but I think models think that only they know how to dress ... and so they try to put down other models

rootX said:

Ok, maybe I am wrong but I think models think that only they know how to dress ... and so they try to put down other models

Like... whatever.

rootX said:

No, I'm afraid you are wrong.

mcknia07 said:
Oh sure, sounds like a date to me.

Good, you're paying! So Jason, shall we get the lobsters served on a top sirloin steak wrapped in bacon?

rootX said:

.........how old are you again?

:rofl:

Penalty box for the lot of you!

Cyrus said:
Good, you're paying! So Jason, shall we get the lobsters served on a top sirloin steak wrapped in bacon?

With a nice glass of wine.

At mcknia's place afterwards, it was a rather large mess last time.

Cyrus said:

Lobster is yucky and, well, I'm not one for steak either.

mcknia07 said:

I not going to eat the lobster. I'm just ordering it for show.

mcknia07 said:

Don't worry, Jason and I have something you might like :wink: Hiyooooooooooo.

Cyrus said:
Don't worry, Jason and I have something you might like :wink: Hiyooooooooooo.

Hmmmm...Well...you guys can bring the wine, since I know nothing about wine.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
.........how old are you again?

I need to construct it more.
I was thinking (it was making sense) it (while programming) and then I lost my thoughts ...
:(

rootX said:
I need to construct it more.
I was thinking (it was making sense) it (while programming) and then I lost my thoughts ...
:(

Is your native language english? You type in fragments. It's hard to understand what you say.

Cyrus said:
Is your native language english? You type in fragments. It's hard to understand what you say.

No it's not and also I didn't type it under one breath. Added fragments later on to make it worse.

rootX said:
No it's not and also I didn't type it under one breath. Added fragments later on to make it worse.

I would generally avoid it. It's very hard to read what you write most of the time because your thoughts jump around in the middle of a sentence. It lacks coherent continuity at times. :smile:

Cyrus said:
I would generally avoid it. It's very hard to read what you write most of the time because your thoughts jump around in the middle of a sentence. It lacks coherent continuity at times. :smile:

I know that but I do it most of times anyway ;(. I finish up, then go back and add more bits of information which don't fit nicely in the existing sentences.

rootX said:
I know that but I do it most of times anyway ;(. I finish up, then go back and add more bits of information which don't fit nicely in the existing sentences.

Then don't do that! Add new sentence, don't splice into existing ones.

Just a piece of advice to the guys and ladies. I had to buy some sweaters because it's getting cold and I only have a one or two. When you go to buy some, make sure you check for (1) price (2) fit (3) fabric. The 3rd one is something I think most people don't look at.

A year ago I bought a black v-neck sweater. I saw a nice one at one store 80% cashmere, 20% silk. Then I saw the same one at Banana Republic and same price that was 86% silk, 14% cashmere.

I always look at the % of materials when I compare similar items at similar prices, and I try to get everything on sale if I can. I got a $74.00 sweater for $43.00, and another $98.00 sweater for $39.00. Most of the stuff at stores is way way over-priced. I never buy anything anymore unless I am 100% sure I'm happy with how it looks/fits. Nothings worse than wasting your money on something you hardly wear because you bought it on impulse.

Those are pretty much my rules for shopping, though I tend to do some impulse buying, but I love what I pick out and they last a long time and go with the style too. I have a hard time finding things that fit though...

mcknia07 said:
Those are pretty much my rules for shopping, though I tend to do some impulse buying, but I love what I pick out and they last a long time and go with the style too. I have a hard time finding things that fit though...

I get a lot of my stuff tailored. But its not $10 as moonbear said, its usually 20-25 for button up shirts.

Jackets are pretty expensive. I got one jacked tailored and it cost me nearly $100.

The ideal case is to get something on sale and then tailor it and end up spending around what you would have for the untailored article of clothing. I don't think you can tailor everything though, for example sweaters.

Cyrus said:
I get a lot of my stuff tailored. But its not $10 as moonbear said, its usually 20-25 for button up shirts.

Jackets are pretty expensive. I got one jacked tailored and it cost me nearly $100.

The ideal case is to get something on sale and then tailor it and end up spending around what you would have for the untailored article of clothing. I don't think you can tailor everything though, for example sweaters.

if you get a really expensive suit, like a dior, they will tailor it for free.