Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The area under a discontinuous & integrable function

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    Does it make sense to talk about the area of the region {(x,y)|x[itex]\in[/itex][a,b];y[itex]\in[/itex][0,f(x)]} for a positive function f defined on an interval [a,b], where a,b[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ and f is integrable on that interval, even if the function is not continuous?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    It depends on what you mean by area. It is common to define this area as, in fact, the integral of f from a to b. In that case it makes perfect sense to speak of the area under an integrable, discontinuous function.

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3
    Do you all agree with this?

My teacher says that the notion of area can be used only for bounded regions and we can say that the integral form a to b is that area only if the function is continuous, because the surface is limited by the lines x=a, x=b, Ox and the graph of f and, if f is discontinuous, then its graph will not wrap the upper part of the region completely.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5329/imagu.png [Broken]

She also says that open disks don’t have area.

On the other hand, I think that the existence of area depends only on the set of points, and, following the definition on Wikipedia (go to Formal Definition, the last point), the set {(x,y)|x[itex]\in[/itex][a,b];y[itex]\in[/itex][0,f(x)]} should have area.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Mar 12, 2012 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

If the set of discontinuous points in an interval is finite, then the function can be integrated over that interval, I believe.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. Mar 12, 2012 #5
    It is, because the function is integrable.
    It can, for the same reason.

The problem is whether we can talk about the area of that surface or not.

7. Mar 12, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, we talk about area there. The area is just defined as the integral [itex]\int_a^b |f(x)|dx[/itex]. There is no reason not to call that the area.

And open disks DO have an area. I don't get where your teacher is getting all that nonsense.

8. Mar 12, 2012 #7
    Thank you.

9. Mar 12, 2012 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well maybe your teacher is defining area in only a restricted sense, to make your life simpler. ask him/her.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook