The average Asian aging process

In summary, the study found that asians tended to be older and heavier than other groups, but they also tended to maintain their capabilities longer than other groups.
mark!
You might have seen this cartoon on the web. Is this just for laughs, or is there actually some truth to it?

273c5db0ceb59df8c59eddc21425bbdb.jpg

After a bit of research I've found out that Asian women, particularly Japanese and Chinese, indeed tend to reach menopause at a later age. Moreover, western women show more complications and problems regarding the menopause process (like hot flashes), in contrast to Asian women. The hypothesised explanation for the physical differences (that seem to occur during menopause in all women) is that female fertility isn't necessary at a higher age.

Still, the question remains why this cultural difference exists, if it even exists, because I couldn't find any paper on this phenomenon that describes how many percent of Asian women actually show this physical transformation, and why western women don't seem to undergo this process at all.

Attachments

• 273c5db0ceb59df8c59eddc21425bbdb.jpg
    273c5db0ceb59df8c59eddc21425bbdb.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 75,725
Biology news on Phys.org
mark! said:
Still, the question remains why this cultural difference exists, if it even exists, because I couldn't find any paper on this phenomenon that describes how many percent of Asian women actually show this physical transformation, and why western women don't seem to undergo this process at all.

What process? Suddenly appearing to go "downhill" in their 50's and 60's? That happens in women everywhere to some degree. And men too. It's just a natural part of aging. The exact change in the appearance of the person varies tremendously. My mother is in her late 50's and unlike the woman in the picture above, is still very thin, like she's always been. But she's always been very active outside and watches her weight, so I wouldn't expect a drastic change. Still, she most definitely looks her age. Silvering hair. Wrinkles starting to appear. Etc.

Do note that the diagram's suggestion that asian women do not change in their appearance from their 20's to their 40's is entirely wrong. Everyone changes as they age.

Likes Evo
mark! said:
After a bit of research
Can you post links to some of the papers you read in your research? That is how we start threads like this here at the PF...

As I've already said I couldn't find papers on the matter @berkeman, only on the web were several sources that claimed that Asians went "later" in menopause. However, in this health book it is determined to only 2 years later. If this is indeed true, I guess the comic image is just for laughs. But 2 years is not a big of a deal.

But I saw the image and I thought that it would be very interesting if indeed Asian women indeed would stay physically younger for a longer period of time than Caucasian women. That's why I wanted to find out more about this. Of course, I knew beforehand that a statement like this could never account for ALL Asian women, but still, if a great part of older Asian women would show this characteristic, unlike older women in the west, it would still be interesting to me.

Check this out by the way, a 63 year old mom with her 41, 40 And 36 year old daughters. (Without anything to support otherwise, I'm going to label this as an exception).

Still, the question remains why this misleading cartoon was made?

Last edited:
mark! said:
If this is indeed true, I guess the comic image is just for laughs. But 2 years is not a big of a deal.

I can assure you that the comic was indeed meant to be just for laughs.

mark! said:
Still, the question remains why this misleading cartoon was made?

Other than to tell you that it's a stereotype, I don't know what to say. Most stereotypes have some basis in reality, but I couldn't begin to estimate how accurate this stereotype is.

Hmmm... maybe the doctors have something after-all; keep BMI down and exercise up.

Asian women are my idols for facial and body care! They have the methods down tight. I have noticed beauty and hygiene is usually approached in a step-like fashion that takes care of the whole. Effective.

Probably the best data sets for determining physical age and capability by nationality/ethnicity/race would be among Olympic athletes. Those who aged slower, or maintained capability longer, would be competing effectively in the Olympics at a greater age than others. Just off hand, I can't recall any athletes in the same sports with a significantly wider range of competitive ages.

Likes jim mcnamara
Dr_Zinj said:
Probably the best data sets for determining physical age and capability by nationality/ethnicity/race would be among Olympic athletes. Those who aged slower, or maintained capability longer, would be competing effectively in the Olympics at a greater age than others. Just off hand, I can't recall any athletes in the same sports with a significantly wider range of competitive ages.

Sort of relevant...

Could you be an athlete? Olympics 2012 by age, weight and height (incl. by country)
See the results of the first comprehensive analysis of the 11,000 contestants at London 2012

Old Olympians Ride Horses; Young Ones Do Flips

1. What factors influence the average Asian aging process?

There are several factors that can influence the average Asian aging process, including genetics, lifestyle, and environmental factors. Genetics play a significant role in how a person ages, as certain ethnicities may have genes that affect their skin's elasticity and collagen production. Lifestyle choices such as diet, exercise, and skincare routines can also impact the aging process. Environmental factors such as pollution and sun exposure can also contribute to premature aging.

2. Is the average Asian aging process different from other ethnicities?

Yes, the average Asian aging process is different from other ethnicities. Asians tend to have thicker skin and more melanin, which can protect against UV damage and delay the appearance of wrinkles compared to other ethnicities. However, Asians may also experience hyperpigmentation and sagging skin earlier due to genetics and lifestyle factors.

3. What are some common signs of aging in Asian individuals?

Some common signs of aging in Asian individuals include fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, loss of skin elasticity, and sagging skin. Asians may also experience uneven skin tone and texture, especially in areas with high sun exposure. Additionally, loss of volume in the cheeks and lips is also a common sign of aging in Asian individuals.

4. Can the average Asian aging process be slowed down?

Yes, the average Asian aging process can be slowed down with proper skincare, a healthy lifestyle, and preventive measures. By using sunscreen daily and avoiding excessive sun exposure, Asians can protect their skin from UV damage and premature aging. Maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine can also improve skin health and delay the signs of aging. Additionally, incorporating anti-aging skincare products and procedures, such as retinoids and chemical peels, can also slow down the aging process.

5. At what age does the average Asian individual start to show signs of aging?

The average age at which an Asian individual starts to show signs of aging can vary depending on genetics and lifestyle factors. In general, Asians may start to show signs of aging in their late 20s to early 30s, with fine lines and wrinkles becoming more noticeable in their 40s. However, this can differ for each individual, and some may start to show signs of aging earlier or later in life.