The behavior of a potential-like integral at infinity

In summary: Thank you for this conversation. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a function in certain spaces and a number, and attempts to prove a limit involving an integral. One approach involves using the Uniform Boundedness Principle, but the speaker is unsure if this is a valid method. The other speaker suggests using the Banach-Steinhaus theorem and a dense set of compactly supported functions. There is also a discussion about a potential counterexample involving an alternating function.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I need a help in the following problem. I feel that the question is stupid.
Take a function ##f\in C(\mathbb{R}^3)\cap L^1(\mathbb{R}^3)## and a number ##\alpha\in(0,3)##.
Prove that
$$\lim_{|x|\to\infty}\int_{\mathbb{R}^3}\frac{f(y)dy}{|x-y|^\alpha}=0.$$
I can prove this fact by the Uniform Boundedness Principle only. This frustrates me much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe I do not take the problem properly, the integral is rewritten as
[tex]\int |t|^{-\alpha}f(t+x)dt[/tex]
So for your expectation we should require in the limit of large |x|
[tex]f(x) \rightarrow 0[/tex]
and the effect of divergence of ##|t|^{-\alpha}## at t=0 should be investigated.

Last edited:
Likes wrobel
It seems I do not know how to prove it. Perhaps it is not true.

wrobel said:
I feel that the question is stupid.
Why say this?

Likes Klystron
anuttarasammyak said:
So for your expectation we should require in the limit of large |x|
f(x)→0
yes that is one of possible ways to save the matter

I have no time at the moment to search myself, but the keyword to look for is Newton potantial.

the correct assertion is as follows.
Take a function $$g\in L^p(\mathbb{R}^3) \cap L^1(\mathbb{R}^3)$$ and a number $$\alpha\in(0,3),\quad p>\frac{3}{3-\alpha}.$$
Then one has
$$\lim_{|x|\to\infty}\int_{\mathbb{R}^3}\frac{g(y)dy}{|x-y|^\alpha}=0.$$
The question is the same: is there a direct proof? Besides the Uniform Boundedness Principle

Would you mind showing us the proof? How do you get rid of the singularity at ##y=x##?

fresh_42 said:
Would you mind showing us the proof? How do you get rid of the singularity at ##y=x##?

Attachments

• qqENG.pdf
    118.2 KB · Views: 103
Why is
$$
\int_{B_1}\dfrac{d\xi}{|\xi|^{q\alpha }} < \infty
$$
and wouldn't we need ##|f(y)|## or ##|g(y)|##, too, which makes the ##u_j## non-linear?

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Why is
$$
\int_{B_1}\dfrac{d\xi}{|\xi|^{q\alpha }} < \infty
$$
and wouldn't we need ##|f(y)|## or ##|g(y)|##, too, which makes the ##u_j## non-linear?
1) The integral in the spherical coordinates takes the form
$$\int F(\psi,\theta)d\psi d\theta \int_{0}\frac{r^2}{r^{q\alpha}}dr,$$
and employ the inequalities from the beginning of the text.

2) for what?

Last edited:
wrobel said:
1) The integral in the spherical coordinates takes the form
$$\int F(\psi,\theta)d\psi d\theta \int_{0}\frac{r^2}{r^{q\alpha}}dr,$$
and employ the inequalities from the beginning of the text.

2) for what?
Sorry, but I do not see this. What if ##\alpha =1\, , \,p=q=2##?
$$
\int_{B_1}\dfrac{d\xi}{|\xi|^2}=\int_0^1\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}\dfrac{1}{r^2}\,d\theta\,d\psi\,dr=2\pi^2\int_0^1\dfrac{dr}{r^2}
$$
I think I could construct a counterexample for a function ##g(x\cdot y)## but we have ##g(x+y),## so I'm not sure whether I can use it.

Last edited:
$$dx\wedge dy\wedge dz=r^2\sin\theta dr\wedge d\theta\wedge d\psi$$
do not forget ##r^2##

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
The parameters are chosen really tight. Your handling of the singularity - catching it in a compact ball - still looks a bit like cheating. But before I get too deep into it, how do you finally conclude? I see that you get from Banach-Steinhaus that ##\|u_j\| <\infty ##. How does this prove the theorem, esp. where does the norm go?

Last edited:
I use the following version of Banach-Steinhaus (due to Laurent Schwartz Analyse Mathematique. vol 2 Hermann 1967.

Let ##X## be a Banach space and let ##X_0\subset X## be a dense set. Assume that ##u_k:X\to\mathbb{R}## is a uniformly bounded sequence of linear functions such that ##u_j(x)\to 0## for any ##x\in X_0##. Then ##u_j(x)\to 0## for any ##x\in X##.

The assertion is valid for the given function ##g\in X## (see the manuscript) as long as it is valid for the dense set ##X_0## of compacly supported functions.

Last edited:
Sorry, if it annoys you that I try to understand the details since your question was a different one, so what I'm asking here is strictly off-topic.

Just an unimportant question: Where did you use ##p>3/(3-\alpha )##. I get that ##p>0 ## is sufficient for ##2-q\alpha >-1##. (Do you understand papers in German. I have nice slices on that subject. It's what I use to construct a counterexample. I mean if ##g(y)=1## we still have that singularity somewhere.)

See
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...+(1/((x-10)^2+(y-10)^2+(z-10)^2))dz)dy)dx++==

The limit is outside of the integral, not inside, so we don't have a vanishing mass at infinity.

Last edited:
From the conditions of the theorem there must be ##g\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^3)##. For ##g=1## it is not so. Thus it is not a counterexample.
Unfortunately I do not speak German.

Post #2 in polar coordintes of ##\mathbf{t}(r,\theta,\phi),##
[tex]\int\int\int |t|^{-\alpha}f(t+x)d^3t=\int_0^\infty r^{2-\alpha} dr \int_0^\pi sin\theta d\theta \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi \ \ f(\mathbf{t}+\mathbf{x}) [/tex]
When f(x) has a finite support, the integral is zero for large |x|.

anuttarasammyak said:
When f(x) has a finite support, the integral is zero for large |x|.
This is exactly what I do not see. The radius covers the entire space, so the integral matches the singularity at some point, regardless of how far away it is. The limit is always taken afterward! So I imagine an "alternating" function (to bypass ##L^1##), something in the realms of ##f(x,y)=x |x| \exp(-(xy)^2).## I know this isn't a counterexample, it is only my template to find one.

1645882815978.png

wrobel said:
From the conditions of the theorem there must be ##g\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^3)##. For ##g=1## it is not so. Thus it is not a counterexample.
Unfortunately I do not speak German.
Yes, but increase the power in the denominator and make ##g(y) \sim 1/|y|^\beta ## and we're back in business. I am not saying it is wrong. I simply do not see it. But I'm more an algebraic person than a topological.

There is still the magic trick with your compact balls to lock out the singularity, and the fact that you have ##\lim \int## and not ##\int \lim.##

fresh_42 said:
This is exactly what I do not see. The radius covers the entire space, so the integral matches the singularity at some point, regardless of how far away it is. The limit is always taken afterward!
Say the support does not exceed r=R,
[tex]|\int\int\int |t|^{-\alpha}f(t+x)d^3t|
=|\int_0^\infty r^{2-\alpha} dr \int_0^\pi sin\theta d\theta \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi \ \ f(\mathbf{t}+\mathbf{x})|[/tex][tex]
\leq |\int_0^R r^{2-\alpha} dr \int_0^\pi sin\theta d\theta \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi |\ \ max(| f(\mathbf{t}+\mathbf{x})|)[/tex] where maximum is taken within the region of sphere of radius R centered at vector ##\mathbf{x}##.
For large enough |x| of ##|\mathbf{t}+\mathbf{x}|>>R,|\mathbf{t}|<R##, ##max(| f(\mathbf{t}+\mathbf{x})|)=0##. So
[tex]\int\int\int |t|^{-\alpha}f(t+x)d^3t=0[/tex]
for large enough |x|. But I am not sure whether the original question allows f(x) to have a finite support.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
But I am not sure whether the original question allows f(x) to have a finite support.
##f \in L^1## is a strong statement. During my attempts to find a counterexample, I observed that ##\alpha \in (0,3)## and ##f\in L^1## are the crucial conditions here. So whatever "easier" proof there is, it will have to make use of them.

1. What is a potential-like integral?

A potential-like integral is a mathematical concept that represents the energy or potential of a system. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of a physical system.

2. How does a potential-like integral behave at infinity?

The behavior of a potential-like integral at infinity depends on the specific function being integrated. In some cases, the integral may approach a finite limit as the upper limit of integration approaches infinity. In other cases, the integral may diverge or approach infinity itself.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a potential-like integral at infinity?

The behavior of a potential-like integral at infinity is affected by the properties of the function being integrated, such as its rate of growth or decay. It is also influenced by the limits of integration and the type of integration being performed (e.g. definite or indefinite).

4. How can the behavior of a potential-like integral at infinity be analyzed?

To analyze the behavior of a potential-like integral at infinity, one can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or applying known properties of integrals. In some cases, it may also be helpful to graph the function being integrated to visualize its behavior.

5. Why is understanding the behavior of a potential-like integral at infinity important?

Understanding the behavior of a potential-like integral at infinity is important for accurately modeling and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It also allows for more efficient and precise calculations in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.