Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Biggest Mosquito I Have Ever Seen

1. May 24, 2007 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I was setting up my telescope and I'm usually pretty good about keeping the door closed, but when I came back inside I thought I had a hummingbird in my den. Here's a picture of him taken shortly after his untimely death....

He was more impressive alive, with the big leg span, but unfortunately, those photos didn't come out.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2
    I'm no expert but I believe that is a male mosquito which are always much larger but harmless. I don't believe they bite. It's the smaller female mosquitos that draw blood to lay eggs. This is from my experience in Alaska, where the mosquito is considered the state bird.

4. May 24, 2007 #3
    thats one heck of a skeeter

5. May 24, 2007 #4
    i've killed a couple like these in my apt. nasty creatures. usually come into the house if the door is left open, especially in summer.

6. May 24, 2007 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

not completely sure, but if it looked like this alive:
    [​IMG]

Then you just killed a mosquito eater!

I don't know... but that doesn't look like any mosquito I see in Alaska, could be a different kind.

7. May 24, 2007 #6

russ_watters

No, that's not it. The wings were flat against the tail. Not a great photo, but here's the Before...

Attached Files:

8. May 24, 2007 #7

russ_watters

9. May 24, 2007 #8
    We get big ones like that here.

10. May 25, 2007 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

11. May 25, 2007 #10

Danger

Gold Member

I was thinking along the same line as Pythagorean. We have what are called 'mosquito hawks', which look very much like huge mosquitos but in fact prey upon them.

12. May 25, 2007 #11
    im pretty sure that its a male mosquito , they are much bigger than the female, and they dont bite, still, they are dead-worthy.

13. May 25, 2007 #12

russ_watters

Looking around, I have a few trapped behind a window that look almost identical except that they are 1/4 the size, so I think you're right about this one being a male.

14. May 25, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They get them like that in Florida around the Everglades. I remember it being over 100 degrees and raining, and mosquitos so big that if you swat them, it just ticks them off. :biggrin:

15. May 27, 2007 #14

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

If you did not need a baseball bat to kill it do not bother entering it in any competition here in atlanta.

16. May 28, 2007 #15
    I have a paralyzing fear of all insects *shrugs*.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?