1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Insights The Birth of a Textbook - Comments

1. Jan 5, 2018 #51
  2. Jan 5, 2018 #52
    For anyone wanting a preview of the content, Amazon now has the "Look inside" feature for this book, although it is only of the Kindle version and therefore looks rather ugly.

3. Jan 5, 2018 #53

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Indeed. I am pretty sure the printed version looks much better, at least my print-ready pdf does, and that this is auto-generated. Solely based on the number of equations, this is about one third of the first chapter.

@Greg Bernhardt has seen the copies used for prizes in the photo and haiku/limerick contests and should be able to confirm. I am hoping my author copies have arrived when I get back to work after the holidays on Monday.

4. Jan 5, 2018 #54
    Yeah the amazon preview is a sloppy rendering. Everything is seamless in the print version. The publisher wouldn't print the amazon render. I sent amazon a 5 star review. Hopefully they print it!

5. Jan 5, 2018 #55

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

The review is there

A 5.000 rating for the book! It won't get a better average!

6. Jan 5, 2018 #56

strangerep

Science Advisor

Amazon shows this as being rated by someone "especially interested in"... cat supplies. :oldlaugh:

7. Jan 5, 2018 #57
    Guilty, I have a cat :biggrin:

8. Jan 5, 2018 #58

strangerep

Science Advisor

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I like cats too. It just seemed quite funny mentioning that for a book about mathematical methods. :oldeyes:

9. Jan 5, 2018 #59

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, with a dataset of 1 the conclusions drawn are not the best.

10. Jan 6, 2018 #60

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It would have been more appropriate for a book on quantum mechanics. Or not. We won’t know until Greg reviews a QM book.

11. Jan 6, 2018 #61

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Well, I never understood, why the publishers offer technical books in epub formats with the formulae put in the lowest possible resolution. It discredits the entire book, if you ask me. Why don't they use pdf, which gives everything in very good quality (provided it's typeset correctly with real vector fonts rather than also using png or even worse jpg for formulae). Some textbooks by Springer are offered in pdf and epub. You can see the nonsense of epub by simple comparison of both formats. Never ever buy a textbook in epub format! I prefer to have both, a paper copy and the ebook as pdf. Sometimes you get this ideal combination, i.e., buying the paper copy you get the pdf ebook for free too.

12. Jan 6, 2018 #62

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Well, quantum physicists are known to be notorious cat tormentors, confining the poor animals in boxes and prepare a state, where the cat is in superposition of dead and alive. Even worse are experimenters, who tend to really open the box to check whether the cat is alive or dead, causing an instantaneous collapse of the poor creature (at least if they believe in naive interpretations of QT contradicting its very foundations ;-)).

13. Jan 6, 2018 #63
    Let me know when your book on QM is published :smile:

14. Jan 16, 2018 #64
    Congratulations @Orodruin! I really appreciate and have a big estimate for this user, who is always helping in the community. It is also amazing to read the testimony of how it is tu publish a book. Congratulations again, and thanks for sharing!

15. Jan 21, 2018 #65

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I had now 1.5 days to "diagonal read" through @Orodruin 's book. It's just marvelous! That's the kind of book, I missed in the early semesters to learn the math necessary for physics (most importantly vector calculus, i.e., div, grad, rot and Gauss's and Stokes's integral theorems) before the math lectures provided us with this material. It's written in a very clear and concise way, emphasizing the fundamental ideas and also the calculational techniques needed by any physicist from the very beginning. When I've read a bit more systematically through some chapters, I'll write a more complete review at Amazon (of course with 5 stars :-)))! It's just great!

16. Jan 21, 2018 #66
    Is there a 'look inside' or sample chapter(s) available anywhere now/

p.s. never Mind. I see amazon has the look inside available now.

17. Jan 21, 2018 #67

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Happy you like it. It means a lot.

The look inside on amazon is the kindle version, which I believe is auto generated from the pdf. This does not always work out very well. The actual text is much better typeset.

18. Jan 26, 2018 #68

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Yes, the typeset of the printed book is fine. I wonder, why they don't provide a pdf version as "e-book". Springer offers pdf's and sometimes epub or kindle or whatever, and it's horrible.

19. Feb 10, 2018 #69

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

20. Feb 10, 2018 #70
    Time to start your next book :smile:

21. Feb 10, 2018 #71
  22. Feb 27, 2018 #72
    I'm about to start writing a textbook myself, and I found this very helpful, so thank you for taking the time to write this Orodruin!

Btw, how close was the book to what you had originally planned? Do you wish you could have spent more time on it, or is it pretty close to what you wanted?

23. Feb 27, 2018 #73

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Just happy you liked it!

The original plan I had for the text is outlined in the Insight and you can compare it with the final table of contents. I touched on this briefly in the Insight as well, but generally I wrote more or less what I wanted to write from the beginning with the exception that some application chapters had to go because I realised they would essentially be books on their own if I wrote what I wanted about those subjects. I also added the chapter on symmetries and group theories because I found that many of my students could use a short and quickly accessible introduction to the subject without taking a full group theory course. It also added the benefit of being able to develop some particular insights in later chapters.

I think it is pretty close to what I wanted. I am sure there are typos in some places, but at some time you reach a point when further proofreading will no longer give you enough return. I am rather happy with how it turned out.

You might also notice that you suffer from fatigue with respect to your text at many times. My suggestion is to take it easy for some time and think of other things, do not force it and your inspiration will likely return eventually. If you just force through it, you risk ending up with chapters that are cut short because you just wanted some text on that particular subject to be there.

24. Apr 6, 2018 #74
    I was looking to get the ebook version of this as I always enjoy reading Oroduin's insights on posts here on PF. However, the quality of the ebook is.... not very good. I hope they fix it soon!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted