Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The Bohr Model of the Hydrogen Atom

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    The electron in a hydrogen atom is in the first excited state, when the electron acquires an additional 2.86 eV of energy. What is the quantum number n of the state into which the electron moves?

I found the answer to be 5 but I don't know how. I thought I could use the following equation:

En=-(13.6eV) * (z^2 / (nfinal)^2 - (ninitial)^2)

En=-2.86
    z=1
    ninitial=2

I solved for nfinal and had the answer as 3 but that was incorrect. Am I doing something wrong?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's been a long time since I worked with this kind of problem, but can you post a link to a web page with info on the energy levels of the hydrogen atom? If I had this problem and no textbook, I'd start with a directed google search....

4. Nov 3, 2006 #3
    I know I tried to use Google and Yahoo with no help but the only web page I have is for the textbook itself (Cutnell, Johnson: Physics, 6th Edition). I have the right answer for my homework but I was just trying to figure out how. I guess I really wanted to know. LOL

http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=index&itemId=0471151831&bcsId=1346

Thank you for your advise!

:smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook