1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Bohr Model of the Hydrogen Atom

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    The electron in a hydrogen atom is in the first excited state, when the electron acquires an additional 2.86 eV of energy. What is the quantum number n of the state into which the electron moves?

I found the answer to be 5 but I don't know how. I thought I could use the following equation:

En=-(13.6eV) * (z^2 / (nfinal)^2 - (ninitial)^2)

En=-2.86
    z=1
    ninitial=2

I solved for nfinal and had the answer as 3 but that was incorrect. Am I doing something wrong?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's been a long time since I worked with this kind of problem, but can you post a link to a web page with info on the energy levels of the hydrogen atom? If I had this problem and no textbook, I'd start with a directed google search....

4. Nov 3, 2006 #3
    I know I tried to use Google and Yahoo with no help but the only web page I have is for the textbook itself (Cutnell, Johnson: Physics, 6th Edition). I have the right answer for my homework but I was just trying to figure out how. I guess I really wanted to know. LOL

http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=index&itemId=0471151831&bcsId=1346

Thank you for your advise!

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?