The Bohr Model of the Hydrogen Atom

In summary, the conversation is about the energy levels of the hydrogen atom and solving for the quantum number n of the state into which the electron moves. The individual seeking help has found the answer to be 5, but is unsure of how to arrive at that answer using the given equation. They have tried using Google and their textbook but have not been successful. They have also been advised to try a directed Google search.
frankene
The electron in a hydrogen atom is in the first excited state, when the electron acquires an additional 2.86 eV of energy. What is the quantum number n of the state into which the electron moves?

I found the answer to be 5 but I don't know how. I thought I could use the following equation:

En=-(13.6eV) * (z^2 / (nfinal)^2 - (ninitial)^2)

En=-2.86
z=1
ninitial=2

I solved for nfinal and had the answer as 3 but that was incorrect. Am I doing something wrong?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a long time since I worked with this kind of problem, but can you post a link to a web page with info on the energy levels of the hydrogen atom? If I had this problem and no textbook, I'd start with a directed google search...

I know I tried to use Google and Yahoo with no help but the only web page I have is for the textbook itself (Cutnell, Johnson: Physics, 6th Edition). I have the right answer for my homework but I was just trying to figure out how. I guess I really wanted to know. LOL

http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=index&itemId=0471151831&bcsId=1346

Thank you for your advise!

:smile:

What is the Bohr Model of the Hydrogen Atom?

The Bohr Model of the Hydrogen Atom is a simplified representation of the structure of a hydrogen atom proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the atom as a positively charged nucleus at the center, surrounded by negatively charged electrons orbiting in specific energy levels.

How does the Bohr Model explain the stability of the hydrogen atom?

The Bohr Model explains the stability of the hydrogen atom by proposing that the electrons can only occupy certain energy levels, or orbits, around the nucleus. These orbits have fixed energies, and the electrons cannot fall into the nucleus or move to a higher energy level without absorbing or emitting a specific amount of energy.

What is the significance of the Bohr radius in the Bohr Model?

The Bohr radius is the distance between the nucleus and the electron in the lowest energy level in the Bohr Model. It is a fundamental constant in the model and determines the size of the orbits and the energies of the electrons.

What are the limitations of the Bohr Model?

One of the main limitations of the Bohr Model is that it only accurately describes the structure of hydrogen atoms and fails to explain the behavior of atoms with more than one electron. It also does not take into account the wave-like nature of electrons, which is a significant factor in determining the behavior of atoms.

How did the Bohr Model contribute to our understanding of atomic structure?

The Bohr Model was the first successful attempt to describe the structure of an atom, and it laid the foundation for further developments in atomic theory. It introduced the concept of quantized energy levels and helped scientists understand the behavior of electrons in atoms. It also paved the way for the development of more accurate atomic models, such as the quantum mechanical model.