1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The brightness of a variable star

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A variable star changes in brightness by a factor of 4. What is the change in magnitude?

2. Relevant equations
    m and n represent two stars of magnitude
    m-n=2.5 log(f(n)/f(m))
    log (f(n)/f(m))=.4*(m-n)
    3. The attempt at a solution

I think m-n is suppose to represent a change in magnitude.perhaps a factor of 4 = log(f(n)/f(m) . Therefore , m-n=2.5*4=10 ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Magnitude is a logarithmic scale, whereas brightness is measured on a geometric scale. So a star that is 4 x brighter represents a smaller change in magnitude. I get a 1.5 change in magnitude.

Let x = the variation in magnitude and let b = brightness. According to the rather arcane method of determining stellar magnitudes (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_magnitude ) this is the relationship between x and b:

[tex]\log_{10}(100^{.2})^x = 2.512^x = b[/tex]

4. Sep 29, 2007 #3

I don't understand. so factor 4 can also represent the brightness of the star? Also when you say let x be a variation in magnitude, do you mean let x be the change in magnitude?
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. Sep 29, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Using the original equation you had you know the ratio between the two extremes of brightness is 4. Therefore f(n)/f(m)=4. The method Andrew has used is the inverse. For a difference of 1 in the apparent magnitude the ratio of the apparent brightness is 2.512. for a difference of 2 in the apparent magnitude the difference in apparent brightness is (2.512)2 ~ 6.31. etc.
  6. Sep 29, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

For the sake of clarifying the basis of this system (for which Hipparchus gets the initial blame), a difference of five magnitudes corresponds to a ratio of 100 in brightness, intensity or power. (The decibel scale for sound works similarly, a difference of 10 decibels corresponds to a ratio of 10 in intensity.) So the relation between magnitudes and intensity is

( I1/I2 ) = (100)^[(m2 - m1)/5] ,

which is the basis of the equation Andrew Mason gives: [tex]\log_{10}(100^{.2})^x = 2.512^x = b[/tex] . [Revision: I forgot to reverse the magnitudes; the brighter the star, the lower the magnitude -- fixed now. Thanksalot, Hipparchus...]

You can also take the common logarithm of both sides and rearrange it to get

log10 ( I1/I2 ) = (2/5)·(m2 - m1) or

(m1 - m2) = -2.5 · log10( I1/I2 ) , the form you have in your first post.

In your question, it would be I1/I2 = 4.

Systems such as the magnitude scale or the decibel (dB) scale exist because physiological sensory systems (like eyes and ears) and many artificial detection devices have such a logarithmic "response" over a large range of intensity levels.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?