1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The chevy volt, pipe dream or a viable solution?

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    The new chevy volt design was unveiled today: Chevy Volt

There's a lot of controversy over this car in the engineering world. Since its being developed right in my neighborhood I hear a lot about its development. I think the car looks pretty sharp but GM has a lot of work ahead of them. They still need to find someone who can produce a half way descent battery let alone the monumental task of creating an entirely new series-hybrid drive train. I know first hand how difficult that can be.

They also have a lot of strict competition coming from Toyota who is set to build a similar series-hybrid to be released in 2010, and knowing Toyota they will probably do it at the cheapest price. With the price set at $30k-$40k would you buy one? I just can't see this being a very good band aid until we develop a hydrogen economy.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2
    How do you know first hand?

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    Check the profile.

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4
    For $40,000.. it will be an epic fail. Toyota will modify their Prius to make it a plug-in and sell it for 10K less. Then they'll buy GM after their liabilities fall off in a few years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?