Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The chevy volt, pipe dream or a viable solution?

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    The new chevy volt design was unveiled today: Chevy Volt

There's a lot of controversy over this car in the engineering world. Since its being developed right in my neighborhood I hear a lot about its development. I think the car looks pretty sharp but GM has a lot of work ahead of them. They still need to find someone who can produce a half way descent battery let alone the monumental task of creating an entirely new series-hybrid drive train. I know first hand how difficult that can be.

They also have a lot of strict competition coming from Toyota who is set to build a similar series-hybrid to be released in 2010, and knowing Toyota they will probably do it at the cheapest price. With the price set at $30k-$40k would you buy one? I just can't see this being a very good band aid until we develop a hydrogen economy.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2
    How do you know first hand?

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    Check the profile.

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4
    For $40,000.. it will be an epic fail. Toyota will modify their Prius to make it a plug-in and sell it for 10K less. Then they'll buy GM after their liabilities fall off in a few years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?