The Conservation Laws - Particle Physics

In summary: So in summary, the process P + P → K+ + K- + P + P is possible through the weak interaction, although another interaction, the strong interaction, will dominate in this case. The conservation of isospin is not relevant in this process and should not be used to determine the interaction type. This process may involve more than one type of interaction.
12x4

Homework Statement

Question:
Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 12.32.15.png

Figure 1:
Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 12.31.53.png

QUESTION ABOVE.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]

P + P → K+ + K- + P + P

Firstly, I just wanted to check that this is correct. I found the answer pretty quickly by googling it but have since spent a long while trying to understand it. I was hoping that someone might be able to affirm what I have learned as I have read so much that I feel like I'm getting everything a bit confused now.

As far as I'm aware everything in this collision is conserved apart from the isospin. Is this okay to do? and does this mean that I can now assume that this is an Electromagnetic Interaction?

Secondly, Figure 1. gives the table we will be given in our upcoming exam.

I was wondering what a few of the table headings are supposed to denote.

In the quark table:
I assume J = spin
I3 = Isospin
then what does I mean?

and then again in the Hadron table:
J = spin?
I = Isospin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you see a change of isospin and how would that be relevant?
The reaction is possible via the electromagnetic interaction, but the electromagnetic interaction is weak. There is another interaction that will dominate that reaction.

Isospin is I, the parameter I3 is its component in "z"-direction.

mfb said:
Where do you see a change of isospin and how would that be relevant?
The reaction is possible via the electromagnetic interaction, but the electromagnetic interaction is weak. There is another interaction that will dominate that reaction.

Isospin is I, the parameter I3 is its component in "z"-direction.

Thanks for your reply mfb,

Think this is where i was getting confused.

If the collision is: P + P → K+ + K- + P + P

Then the conservation laws for the isospin aren't conserved?

Following the order of the collision above the isospin would be: 1/2 + 1/2 → 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2, 1 ≠ 2 (according to the table above)

And I believe I read somewhere that if the isospin isn't conserved then it is a electromagnetic interaction.

Forgot to say, I now see that kaon pair production must be a product of the strong force. Just trying to understand how and when I need to worry about the isospin. Or can there be two types of interaction happening simultaneously?

You cannot add isospin like that. "I" is the magnitude of a vector, those don't add linearly.
12x4 said:
And I believe I read somewhere that if the isospin isn't conserved then it is a electromagnetic interaction.
That does not make sense.
12x4 said:
Just trying to understand how and when I need to worry about the isospin.
Not at all, if you take care of the number of up- and down-quarks in the same way you do it for the other types.
12x4 said:
Or can there be two types of interaction happening simultaneously?
It is possible to have more than one interaction type in the same process, yes.

Thank you mfb, think I am there now.

1. What are the conservation laws in particle physics?

The conservation laws in particle physics refer to fundamental principles that govern the behavior and interactions of particles. These include the conservation of energy, momentum, angular momentum, electric charge, and baryon number.

2. Why are conservation laws important in particle physics?

Conservation laws are important because they help us understand and predict the behavior of particles and their interactions. They also provide a framework for understanding the fundamental forces in nature and the structure of matter at the smallest scales.

3. How do conservation laws apply to particle interactions?

Conservation laws apply to particle interactions by requiring that the total amount of a given quantity, such as energy or momentum, remains constant before and after the interaction. This helps us understand how particles change and transform into different types during interactions.

4. Can conservation laws be violated in particle physics?

No, conservation laws cannot be violated in particle physics. These laws are fundamental principles of nature that have been extensively tested and have always been found to hold true. Any apparent violations of conservation laws can often be explained by other factors, such as the presence of undetected particles.

5. How do conservation laws relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The conservation laws are an integral part of the Standard Model, which is the most widely accepted theory to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions. The Standard Model is based on the fundamental principles of conservation and has been successful in predicting and explaining experimental results in particle physics.