Finding Particle Combinations for Conservation Laws

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, in order to produce a K+ in a proton-proton collision, one must choose non-random particles on the right-hand side of the equation to ensure conservation of energy, charge, baryon number, lepton number, strangeness, and isospin. There are multiple solutions, but one easiest solution exists.
rwooduk
Write down a reaction by which a K+ can be produced in a proton-proton collision and give the quark content of each particle involved.

Conservation of energy, charge, baryon number, lepton number, strangeness and isospin

How do I go about doing this? it has already given the p + p -> K+ reaction, I am guessing I have to determine the other products that will allow conservation of the laws above? Do I just pick random particles, put them into the RHS of the equation and see if they obey conservations?

Thanks for any help on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
im guessing I have to determine the other products that will allow conservation of the laws above?
Right.
Do I just pick random particles, put them into the RHS of the equation and see if they obey conservations?
I would pick non-random particles according to the laws that would be violated by p + p -> K+ in order to fix them. There are many possible solutions, all will work, but there is a single easiest one.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
Right.
I would pick non-random particles according to the laws that would be violated by p + p -> K+ in order to fix them. There are many possible solutions, all will work, but there is a single easiest one.

excellent, thanks for the pointer!

Related to Finding Particle Combinations for Conservation Laws

1. What are Kaons?

Kaons, also known as K mesons, are subatomic particles that are composed of a strange quark and an anti-down quark. They are classified as mesons, which are particles made up of a quark and an antiquark.

2. How are Kaons produced?

Kaons can be produced through high-energy particle collisions, such as in particle accelerators, or through the decay of other particles. They are also commonly produced in cosmic rays.

3. What is the decay process of Kaons?

Kaons can decay in several different ways, depending on the type of Kaon. The most common decay mode is into two or three pions, but they can also decay into other particles, such as muons or neutrinos.

4. What are the applications of studying Kaons?

Studying Kaons can provide insight into the fundamental interactions and properties of subatomic particles. They are also used in medical imaging, such as in PET (positron emission tomography) scans, and in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers.

5. What is the significance of Kaon oscillations?

Kaon oscillations, also known as neutral Kaon mixing, occur when a Kaon spontaneously transforms into its antiparticle and vice versa. This phenomenon has been studied extensively in particle physics and has provided important evidence for the existence of CP violation, a fundamental asymmetry between matter and antimatter.