The Convergence of the Series (sqrt(k+1) - sqrt(k))/k

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Appa
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Is the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex])/k convergent or divergent?

Homework Equations


The Comparison Test:
0<=ak<=bk
1.The series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ak converges if the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] bk converges.
2. The series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] bk diverges if the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ak diverges.

The Attempt at a Solution


I computed the equation until it looked like this: [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{1/k + 1/k^2}[/tex] - 1/[tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) and then I tried to find some other series that would be smaller than the original but still diverge because my guess is that this series diverges. But if I take the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{1/k^2}[/tex] - 1/[tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) the terms of the series become negative and the rules of the Comparison Test don't apply.
Then I tried the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k-1}[/tex])/k and computed it to this: [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{1/k + 1/k^2}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{1/k-1/k^2}[/tex]) but it's even harder to analyse than the original series.
Any hints? I also tried series that are greater than the original but found all of them divergent so they weren't of any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I would do integral test. Your terms are decreasing, I believe; you know that

[tex]\lim_{k=\infty} f(k) = 0[/tex]

So you'd have to evaluate

[tex]\int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{k+1} - \sqrt{k}}{k} dk[/tex]

The first part of that integral is tricky and I don't see a quick way to do it but I believe the integral evaluates to


[tex]\int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{k+1} - \sqrt{k}}{k} dk = 2 - 2\sqrt{2} + ln\left|\frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{\sqrt{2}-1}\right|[/tex]
 
The best I can come up with is that

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{k+1}}{k} dk = \frac{k+1}{k\sqrt{k+1}} dk[/tex]

So if we let

[tex]u = \sqrt{k+1} \Rightarrow 2du = \frac{dk}{\sqrt{k+1}}[/tex]

And we are left with integrating

[tex]2\frac{u^2}{u^{2} - 1} du[/tex]

Which you can simplify fairly easily using polynomial division and then do partial fractions on what's left.

Does that help?
 
You can do a comparison test as well. First multiply numerator and denominator by sqrt(k+1)+sqrt(k). Now compare it with a p-series.
 
Now I was able to compute the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex])/k to [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] 1/k([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]).

And from there I was able to tell that 1/k([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) < 1/k(2[tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) . And because [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] 1/k(2[tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) converges, the Comparison Test states that [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex])/k must converge too.

Thank-you for your help!