The coolest fact in trigonometry that you learn way too late

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trigonometry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Messages
2,548
Reaction score
1
The coolest fact in trigonometry that you learn way too late...

So I just spent the last 12 hours learning trig (occasional food breaks).

I just want to share with you something really, really, really, really, awesome.


Check this out, you're going to be blown away

The law of cosines, applied to a right triangle is c^2 = a^2+b^2 - 2abCosA Whereas A is equal to zero!

So the law of cosines for a right triangle is, in fact, the Pythagorean theorem! Math is sooooooooo awesome. Why did it only take me the last quarter of the textbook to learn this fact?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org


Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if A = 0, cos A = 1, and your statement comes in as

[tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab[/tex]

which is not the Pythagorean Theorem.
 


I mean, A is 90 degrees and therefor 0 is equal to 0!

Sorry :blushing:
 


Dory said:
Check this out, you're going to be blown away

The law of cosines, applied to a right triangle is c^2 = a^2+b^2 - 2abCosA Whereas A is equal to zero!

So the law of cosines for a right triangle is, in fact, the Pythagorean theorem! Math is sooooooooo awesome. Why did it only take me the last quarter of the textbook to learn this fact?

:biggrin:

yep it's awesome
 


statdad said:
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if A = 0, cos A = 1, and your statement comes in as

[tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab[/tex]

which is not the Pythagorean Theorem.

Of course, this value is interesting too, as it's the theorem that if you have three collinear points:
A --- B ---- C​
Then the length of the whole (b) is the sum of the lengths of the two parts (a and c).
 


Dory said:
I mean, A is 90 degrees and therefor 0 is equal to 0!

Sorry :blushing:

Don't worry - I had a feeling this is what you meant - but I wanted to make sure.

You'll find lots of cool things in your math classes if you take the time to look around.
 


Awesome link granpa! And thanks for the replies and humoring me :)