The Derivative of Bessel Function of the Second Kind

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 14K views
EngWiPy
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
61
Hello,

What is [tex]\frac{d}{dx}K_v\left(f(x)\right)=?[/tex]

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For [itex]\nu[/itex] not necessarily an integer, [itex]C_{\nu}(y) = e^{\nu \pi i}K_{\nu}(y)[/itex] satisfies the identity

[tex]2\frac{dC_\nu}{dy} = C_{\nu-1}(y) + C_{\nu + 1}(y)[/tex]

Then let [itex]y = f(x)[/itex] and use the chain rule.

Identities like this can usually be found on wikipedia, and for something as studied and used as frequently as the Bessel Functions, are generally correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_function

For a more 'official' reference, see something like http://www.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_437.htm (scans of a reference book).
 
Mute said:
For [itex]\nu[/itex] not necessarily an integer, [itex]C_{\nu}(y) = e^{\nu \pi i}K_{\nu}(y)[/itex] satisfies the identity

[tex]2\frac{dC_\nu}{dy} = C_{\nu-1}(y) + C_{\nu + 1}(y)[/tex]

Then let [itex]y = f(x)[/itex] and use the chain rule.

Identities like this can usually be found on wikipedia, and for something as studied and used as frequently as the Bessel Functions, are generally correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_function

For a more 'official' reference, see something like http://www.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_437.htm (scans of a reference book).

I know that
[tex]z\frac{d}{dz}K_v(z)+vK_v(z)=-zK_{v-1}(z)[/tex]
but I was confused when we have more complicated arguments such as
[tex]z=\sqrt{x^2+x}[/tex].
But after your posting, I have now a simple method to move from simple to more complicated arguments. So, I can say the following:

[tex]\frac{f(z)}{f'(z)}\frac{d}{dz}K_v(f(z))+vK_v(f(z))=-f(z)K_{v-1}(f(z))[/tex]

Am I right?

Best regards
 
S_David said:
Hello,

What is [tex]\frac{d}{dx}K_v\left(f(x)\right)=?[/tex]

Thanks in advance

Do you get the answer?
 
skyspeed said:
Do you get the answer?

let [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] and then use the chain rule.
 
S_David said:
I know that
[tex]z\frac{d}{dz}K_v(z)+vK_v(z)=-zK_{v-1}(z)[/tex]
but I was confused when we have more complicated arguments such as
[tex]z=\sqrt{x^2+x}[/tex].
But after your posting, I have now a simple method to move from simple to more complicated arguments. So, I can say the following:

[tex]\frac{f(z)}{f'(z)}\frac{d}{dz}K_v(f(z))+vK_v(f(z))=-f(z)K_{v-1}(f(z))[/tex]

Am I right?

Best regards

i think this is right
 
S_David said:
let [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] and then use the chain rule.

thanks a lot