1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The difference btwn marginal distribution and conditional distribution ?

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    The difference btwn marginal distribution and conditional distribution ???

So I have a table that "apparently" shows how a company's employees commute to work.

TRANSPORTATION
    JOB CLASS CAR BUS TRAIN TOTAL
    MANAGEMENT 26 20 44 90
    LABOR 56 106 168 330
    TOTAL 82 126 212 420​

As you look at my sorry attempt to re-create the table I was given...
    So now I must find the marginal ditrubution (in %) of mode of transportation as well as the conditional distribution (in%) of mode of tranportation for management.

When I read the definition of a conditional distribution in lead me to think that in order to find that I would devide the data under management [26,20,44] by the total [90].

The marginal distribution I am lost on.

Can someone help me ? Please ?
    Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2011 #2
    Re: The difference btwn marginal distribution and conditional distribution ???

I can help you with the marginal distribution.
    You have to find the individual probability of each mode of transportation
    for instance : P(Car)=(82/420)
    P(BUS)=(126/420)
    p(tRAIN)=212/420
    SUM OF PROB EQUAL ONE, SO YOU HAVE A MARGINAL DISTRIBUTION.
    FOR THE CONDITIONNAL ONE i THINK YOU ARE RIGHT, YOUR CONDITION IS WELL MANAGEMENT.

4. May 25, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: The difference btwn marginal distribution and conditional distribution ???

You have two marginal distributions: (1) the distribution of transportation mode (i.e., what percentages of ALL employees---both labor and management---take car, bus or train; and (2) the distribution of employee type (i.e., what percentage of employees are labor and what percentage are management).

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?