Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The difference btwn marginal distribution and conditional distribution ?

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    The difference btwn marginal distribution and conditional distribution ???

So I have a table that "apparently" shows how a company's employees commute to work.

TRANSPORTATION
    JOB CLASS CAR BUS TRAIN TOTAL
    MANAGEMENT 26 20 44 90
    LABOR 56 106 168 330
    TOTAL 82 126 212 420​

As you look at my sorry attempt to re-create the table I was given...
    So now I must find the marginal ditrubution (in %) of mode of transportation as well as the conditional distribution (in%) of mode of tranportation for management.

When I read the definition of a conditional distribution in lead me to think that in order to find that I would devide the data under management [26,20,44] by the total [90].

The marginal distribution I am lost on.

Can someone help me ? Please ?
    Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2011 #2
    Re: The difference btwn marginal distribution and conditional distribution ???

I can help you with the marginal distribution.
    You have to find the individual probability of each mode of transportation
    for instance : P(Car)=(82/420)
    P(BUS)=(126/420)
    p(tRAIN)=212/420
    SUM OF PROB EQUAL ONE, SO YOU HAVE A MARGINAL DISTRIBUTION.
    FOR THE CONDITIONNAL ONE i THINK YOU ARE RIGHT, YOUR CONDITION IS WELL MANAGEMENT.

4. May 25, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: The difference btwn marginal distribution and conditional distribution ???

You have two marginal distributions: (1) the distribution of transportation mode (i.e., what percentages of ALL employees---both labor and management---take car, bus or train; and (2) the distribution of employee type (i.e., what percentage of employees are labor and what percentage are management).

RGV

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook