Correlation coeff in conditional distribution

In summary, the formula for the expectation and variance of ##\Theta## given ##X=x## can be derived by stating the relationship between ##\Theta## and ##X##, drawing a diagram, and using Bayes' theorem or the approach outlined in the exercise. The equation is familiar as it is used to minimize Linear Least Mean Squared error. The calculus of this minimization problem will lead to the abstract form of the conditional expected value and conditional variance.
georg gill
upload_2017-10-6_13-42-6.png

upload_2017-10-6_13-42-30.png

Can someone derive: ##\frac{Cov(Z+\Theta),\Theta)}{\sqrt{Var(Z+\Theta)Var(\Theta)}}=\frac{\sigma ^2}{\sqrt{1+\sigma ^2}}##

My attempt:

Numerator:

##Cov(X,Y)=E[(X-E(X))(Y-E(Y))]=E[(Z+\Theta-\theta)(\Theta-\mu)]##

The denumerator is pretty simple:

##\sqrt{(1+\sigma ^2)\sigma ^2}##

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you actually want ##\rho## which has a value of ##\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{1 + \sigma^2}}## not ##\frac{\sigma^2}{\sqrt{1 + \sigma^2}}##

key ideas:
1.) Break this up into small manageable subproblems

2.) Remember implications of independence between ##Z## and ##\Theta##, i.e. they have zero covariance which also means their combined variance is just ##var(Z) =1## plus ##var(\Theta) = \sigma^2##

-- numerator --
in general for covariance of two random variables, A,B, we have
##cov\big(A, B\big) = E[(A)(B)] - E[(A)]E[(B)]##

split this up into two lines

##E[(Z + \Theta)(\Theta)] = E[Z \Theta] + E[\Theta^2]##
##E[Z + \Theta]E[\Theta] = E[Z]E[\Theta]+ E[\Theta]E[\Theta]##

notice that our actual expression for the numerator is the first line minus the second

## = \big(E[Z \Theta] + E[\Theta^2]\big)- \big(E[Z]E[\Theta]+ E[\Theta]E[\Theta]\big) =\big(E[Z \Theta]- E[Z]E[\Theta]\big) + \big(E[\Theta^2]- E[\Theta]E[\Theta]\big)##
##= \big(cov(Z,\Theta)\big) + \big(var(\Theta)\big) = \big(0\big) + \big(\sigma^2\big) = \sigma^2##

-- denominator --

##\sqrt{\Big(\big(1 + \sigma^2\big)\big(\sigma^2\big)\Big)} = \sqrt{\big(1 + \sigma^2\big)}\sqrt{\big(\sigma^2\big)} = \sigma\sqrt{\big(1 + \sigma^2\big)}##--- combine numerator and denominator --

##\rho = \frac{\sigma^2}{\sigma\sqrt{\big(1 + \sigma^2\big)}} = \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{\big(1 + \sigma^2\big)}}##

Last edited:
Likes georg gill and jim mcnamara
StoneTemplePython said:
I presume you actually want ##\rho## which has a value of ##\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{1 + \sigma^2}}## not ##\frac{\sigma^2}{\sqrt{1 + \sigma^2}}##

##
Yes sorry I meant ##\rho## which has a value of ##\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{1 + \sigma^2}}##. Thanks for the answer!

How do they arrive at the formula for expectation and variance in the end. I am thinking about:

##E[\Theta|X=x]=E[\Theta]+\rho\sqrt{\frac{Var(\Theta)}{Var(X)}}(x-E[X])##

and

##Var(\Theta|X=x)=Var(\Theta)(1-\rho^2)##

Where do they take this formulas from. Can someone derive them? I get the calculations they do with them.

You should start by stating the relationship between ##\Theta## and ##X##. I didn't think this was directly needed when dealing with ##Z## and ##\Theta## but it seems vital now and I don't see this clearly stated anywhere, and ##\Theta## and ##X## seem to be being introduced in your exercise 8b as if you have familiarity with the relationship from the text or perhaps example 8a. Consider this a 'for avoidance of doubt', the relationship is ____, type of statement.

After stating the relationship, it may be prudent to try to draw this out via a picture. Then make an attempt at solving this, either using their stated approach or via direct application of Bayes.

The reality is, once you've stated and formulated everything, the expected values should be easy -- and if you get stuck, following the units should be helpful here as well.

I could weigh in after all of this if needed. But you should be able to (a) clearly state the relationship between ##\Theta## and ##X## and (b) make some progress on your own first.

- - - -
edit:

While I still think a lot more details should be provided, I knew this equation looked quite familiar. Your problem apparently is trying to minimize Linear Least Mean Squared error. I.e. you are trying to minimize

##E\big[(\Theta - \alpha X - b)^2\big]##

do the calculus on this minimization problem (i.e. optimize with respect to a and b) and you'll recover the abstract form of your conditional expected value

Last edited:

1. What is correlation coefficient in conditional distribution?

The correlation coefficient in conditional distribution is a measure of the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables when one variable is held constant at a specific value. It is denoted by the symbol r and ranges from -1 to 1, with 0 indicating no correlation and -1 or 1 indicating a perfect negative or positive correlation, respectively.

2. How is correlation coefficient in conditional distribution calculated?

The correlation coefficient in conditional distribution can be calculated by dividing the covariance of the two variables by the product of their standard deviations. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using a formula that involves the means, standard deviations, and correlation coefficient of the two variables.

3. What does a high/low correlation coefficient in conditional distribution indicate?

A high correlation coefficient in conditional distribution indicates a strong positive correlation, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase. On the other hand, a low correlation coefficient suggests a weak or no relationship between the two variables.

4. Can correlation coefficient in conditional distribution be negative?

Yes, the correlation coefficient in conditional distribution can be negative, indicating a negative correlation between the two variables. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable tends to decrease.

5. How is correlation coefficient in conditional distribution useful in scientific research?

The correlation coefficient in conditional distribution is useful in scientific research as it helps to identify and measure the relationship between two variables. It can also be used to make predictions and test hypotheses. Additionally, it can provide insight into cause-and-effect relationships and identify potential confounding variables in a study.