The Double Dirac Delta Function Potential wave functions

In summary, the student attempted to solve the TISE using the Dirac delta function potential and found that the wave function blows up at infinity. However, by modifying the potential and applying continuity conditions, the student was able to solve for the allowed energies for the physical solution.
Positron137

Homework Statement

Consider the double Dirac delta function V(x) = -α(δ(x+a) + δ(x-a)). Using this potential, find the (normalized) wave functions, sketch them, and determine the # of bound states.

Homework Equations

Time-Independent Schrodinger's Equation: Eψ = (-h^2)/2m (∂^2/∂x^2)ψ + V(x)ψ. (for the single-variable function ψ(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I substituted the relevant potential: so the TISE (Time-Independent Schrodinger Equation) became: Eψ = (-h^2)/2m (∂^2/∂x^2)ψ - α(δ(x+a) + δ(x-a))ψ.

Next, I considered the points x = -a and x = a, since those are the points where V(x) contains an infinite discontinuity.

Then, I divided this problem into 3 sections: x < -a, -a < x< -a, and x > a. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish the solution for the bound states, but nevertheless I started with bound-state solutions (E < 0).

I solved the general solution for x < -a, which was ψ(x) = Ae^(kx) + Be^(-kx). Since this blows up when x -> -∞, the physical solution would be ψ(x) = Ae^(kx).

For the section -a < x < a, I got as a general sol'n, ψ(x) = Ce^(kx) + De^(-kx). However, this time, ψ(x) does not blow up since x is constrained between -a and a.

For the section x > a, after I got the general solution and modified it (to take care of the infinite part), I got ψ(x) = Fe^(-kx).

Then I applied the continuity conditions. The first one states that ψ(x) must be continuous at the discontinuity points. But I wasn't sure how to patch up the discontinuity here. I couldn't just simply match coefficients, because the points of discontinuity weren't at x = 0, but at x = ±a. From this point, I knew that if I could satisfy the first condition, then by integrating the TISE, I could satisfy the second boundary condition (which was that ψ'(x) had to be continuous). From there, I could normalize ψ(x) (and obtain the wave function(s) for bound states), and determine the allowed energies. But I got stuck at the point where I had to patch up the discontinuities by satisfying the 2 boundary conditions. If anyone could help from this point onwards, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to write out the condition of continuity of the wave function at x = a and also x = -a. You will get a relation between A, C, D, and e2ka and a similar relation between F, C, D, and e2ka.

Since the potential function is symmetric about x = 0, you can assume the wavefunctions are either even functions or odd functions of x. This will allow you to easily relate A to F and C to D for the even and odd cases. If you don't want to assume the wavefunctions are even or odd, then the algebra is a little longer and you will end up showing that the wavefunction is either even or odd.

The derivative of the wavefunction is not continuous at the location of the delta functions. Hopefully, you've covered how to handle this. If not, you can find a discussion http://www.harding.edu/lmurray/Quantum_files/_Ch5%20Delta%20Function%20Potential.pdf .

Ok. Thanks! So I can equate the wave functions for the x < -a to the -a < x < a regions first; then equate the wave functions for the -a < x < a and the x > a regions right? And it's perfectly fine of the factors e^(ka) and e^(-ka) remain there right?

Yes, that's right.

Ok. Thanks! Yah, I was getting a bit confused whether to include the e^(ka) and e^(-ka) terms in the first place, but it makes sense now. :)

1. What is the Double Dirac Delta Function Potential?

The Double Dirac Delta Function Potential is a mathematical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a potential energy field. It is represented by two delta functions, which are mathematical expressions that represent an infinitely narrow and infinitely tall spike.

2. How is the Double Dirac Delta Function Potential used in wave functions?

The Double Dirac Delta Function Potential is incorporated into the Schrödinger equation, which is used to calculate the wave function of a quantum system. It is used to describe the potential energy of a system in terms of the position of the particle.

3. What are the properties of the Double Dirac Delta Function Potential wave functions?

The wave functions for the Double Dirac Delta Function Potential have several important properties. They are symmetric around the origin, they are continuous, and they approach zero at infinity. They also have a finite width and a finite height, unlike other potential functions which may extend infinitely in both directions.

4. How does the Double Dirac Delta Function Potential affect the behavior of particles?

The Double Dirac Delta Function Potential has a strong influence on the behavior of particles in a quantum system. It creates a potential barrier or well that particles must overcome or fall into. This potential can cause changes in the energy levels and wave functions of particles, leading to different behaviors and interactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Double Dirac Delta Function Potential?

The Double Dirac Delta Function Potential has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is used to model the behavior of electrons in semiconductor devices, such as transistors. It is also used in nuclear physics to study the behavior of particles in a potential well, and in quantum chemistry to calculate molecular energy levels and chemical reactions.