1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The earth takes exactly 24 hours for one full rotation calculate

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    the speed of rotation of a point on the equator

the title is the only information I have been given to work out this questions and it relates to a2 phyics uniform circular motion and the answer is 465ms-1 I just cannot get it I know the eqautor must have something to do with it PLEASE HELP

Full calculations shown please!

the textbook gives equations speed = 2pi*r/T but I am not given radius and using the radius does not give the correct answer anyway

the closest I got was 471 ms-1 using pi/24*3600 and I just used pi because I am assuming because it asks along the equ I should use 180 degrees

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2012 #2
    If you're getting 471, it could just be a matter of how you're rounding some of the variables like pi or the radius of the Earth.

I used the exact same equation using the pi option on my calculator and for r, I used 6.378x10^6 and I got 463.82m/s.

Hope this helps!

4. Jun 25, 2012 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The Earth takes 24 hours to make a full rotation with respect to the Sun. The Earth is also orbiting the Sun. This means it takes a bit less than 24 hours for that Earth to make a full rotation with respect to the stars. Another way to look at it is that the Earth rotates a bit more than 360 degrees in 24 hours. This extra little bit of rotation is what gives that answer of 465.1 m/s as opposed to the 463.8 m/s that gbaby370 obtained.

5. Jun 25, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello sazzy. Welcome to PF.

Look up the radius of Earth.

Using that, you can find circumference of Earth, which is the distance that a point on the equator travels in one day.

The number of seconds in one day is 24*3600.

If you want to divide some number by 24*3600, you should put (24*3600) in parentheses.

When you computed π/24*3600, that was equivalent to 3600*π/24 . It's just a coincidence that this gave a result that's close to the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook