1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Earth's magnetic field is essentially that of a magnetic dipole...

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Earth's magnetic field is essentially that of a magnetic dipole. If the field near the North Pole is about 10^-4 T, what will it be (approximately) 13,000 km above the surface at the North Pole?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]B = \frac{\mu _0}{2\pi}\frac{\mu}{(R^2+x^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

for x >> R

[tex]B = \frac{\mu _0}{2\pi}\frac{\mu}{x^3}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to find the magnetic field of a dipole on its axis for a circle. My textbook uses the second formula to solve this problem. But I cannot understand what "x" and "R" are for the earth, and how we assumed x>>R.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wherever you got that equation from (link?), it should state what the variables mean and what constraints there are on its validity. If you can't provide a link, please quote them.
    The form of it (##R^2+x^2##), suggests R and x are orthogonal, which doesn't sound right for the given question.

4. May 13, 2015 #3
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html#c3

This is the same formula except pi*r^2*I is changed with mu(magnetic dipole moment) in mine.

5. May 13, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Dipole field" is the name for the field from a current loop in the limit ##R\rightarrow 0##, with m or ##{\bf \mu} = \pi R^2 \;I## constant. So Haru is right and your book is right too.

That eliminates the R question. Now you should think about where this dipole could possibly be located, and therefore what to take for the x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted