The effect of a dielectric on energy storage of a capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a parallel-plate, air-gap capacitor that can store 120 kJ of energy. The first part (a) asks for the minimum required volume between the plates of the capacitor, which is calculated to be 3012 m3 using the equation U=(1/2)*\epsilon0*E2*VOL and the dielectric breakdown of air. In part (b), a dielectric with a dielectric strength of 3.40 x 108V/m and a dielectric constant of 5.50 is introduced and the question asks for the required volume of this dielectric between the plates in order to store 120 kJ of energy. The attempted solution involves using the
Zift

Homework Statement

You are an intern at an engineering company that makes capacitors used for energy storage in pulsed lasers. Your manager asks your team to construct a parallel-plate, air-gap capacitor that will store 120 kJ of energy.

(a) What minimum volume is required between the plates of the capacitor?

(b) Suppose you have developed a dielectric that has a dielectric strength of 3.40 x 108V/m and has a dielectric constant of 5.50. What volume of this dielectric, between the plates of the capacitor, is required for it to be able to store 120 kJ of energy?

Homework Equations

U=(1/2)*[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0*E2*VOL

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part (a) by plugging in 120 kJ into U and the dielectric break down of air into Emax and solved for volume. turned out to be 3012 m3.

I tried to do the same thing for par (b) but it didn't work. Then I realized that it probably wouldn't be necessary to charge the capacitor such that the electric field is at the dielectric breakdown point to be able to store 120kJ. So I tried to insert the new electric field due to the dielectric (using the relationship E=E0/k where E0 is the electric field before the dielectric is in place and k is the dielectric constant) being put into place and then solving for the volume, however, this still did not yield the correct answer. I have a feeling that there is some conceptual gap in my thought process, but I cannot see it right now, and this is due at midnight and I'm kinda stressed so that's not helping either. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
show your calculation.

ehild

What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a material that is inserted between the plates of a capacitor to increase its capacitance. It is an insulating material that does not allow the flow of electric current.

How does a dielectric affect the energy storage of a capacitor?

A dielectric increases the capacitance of a capacitor, which in turn increases its ability to store energy. This is because the dielectric reduces the electric field between the plates, allowing more charge to be stored on the plates.

What are some common materials used as dielectrics in capacitors?

Some common dielectric materials include air, paper, plastic, ceramic, and glass. The choice of dielectric material depends on the specific application and desired capacitance value.

Can a dielectric material have a negative effect on energy storage in a capacitor?

Yes, if the dielectric material has a low breakdown voltage or high leakage current, it can negatively affect the energy storage of a capacitor. This can lead to a decrease in capacitance and energy storage capacity.

How does the thickness of a dielectric affect the energy storage of a capacitor?

The thickness of a dielectric affects the capacitance of a capacitor, and therefore can also affect its energy storage. Thicker dielectrics typically have a higher capacitance, resulting in a higher energy storage capacity.