The elevator, the scale, and the wrong answer: Solving the Puzzle

In summary: So if you have 10N in the positive direction and -5N in the negative direction, then you would get 5+(-5) = 5N as the net force.
joyce1029
You walk into an elevator, step on a scale, and push the "up" button. You recall that your normal weight is 625N. If the elevator has an acceleration of magnitude 2.50 m/s^2, what does the scale read?

I know how to solve this problem, but I don't know why I'm getting the wrong answer.

I first defined up as positive because it is the direction of acceleration. Then there are two forces: the normal and gravity.

m = w/g
m = (625/9.8) = 63.8 kg

N - mg = ma
N = ma + mg
N = m(a+g)
N = 63.8(2.5+(-9.8)) = -465.74N

Which is incorrect. This is correct if I make gravity positive, but I don't understand why it should be positive if I defined up as positive and gravity points down.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you treat the magnitude of gravity as negative, then draw the force of gravity upward. The total force is the person is N + mg and the negative sign on the magnitudeof gravity tells you the direction of gravity is actually downward. If you draw the vector of gravity downward and compute N - mg then don't make the magnitude of gravity negative.

Stephen Tashi said:
If you treat the magnitude of gravity as negative, then draw the force of gravity upward. The total force is the person is N + mg and the negative sign on the magnitudeof gravity tells you the direction of gravity is actually downward. If you draw the vector of gravity downward and compute N - mg then don't make the magnitude of gravity negative.
So since I'm used to calculating the net force as the forces in the positive direction minus the forces in the negative direction (N-mg in this example), can I always keep everything positive(N,m,g)?

joyce1029 said:
So since I'm used to calculating the net force as the forces in the positive direction minus the forces in the negative direction (N-mg in this example), can I always keep everything positive(N,m,g)?

In theory, you can draw all forces in problem as if they were positive and give them negative magnitudes if they "really" point the the other way. In 2D, you could draw all vectors as if they wrere arrows in the first quadrant. The net force of two force vectors A and B is A+B. It is never really A-B. However, to aid human intuition, people disobey the conventions about the positive direction and they draw the arrows for vectors they way they think the vectors point. If you work that way then you must think of the magnitudes as all being positive and when you add two forces, you might need to compute the "sum" of the magnitudes as |A| - |B|.

Last edited:
In the reference frame of the elevator there is a effective downward acceleration if the elevator is accelerated upward.
So the 2.5 and 9.8 m/s2 add up and you will read 12.3/9.8 your normal weight.
Condition is that the scale is set to zero in the elevator reference frame.

Stephen Tashi said:
In theory, you can draw all forces in problem as if they were positive and give them negative magnitudes if they "really" point the the other way. In 2D, you could draw all vectors as if they wrere arrows in the first quadrant. The net force of two force vectors A and B is A+B. It is never really A-B. However, to aid human intuition, people disobey the conventions about the positive direction and they draw the arrows for vectors they way they think the vectors point. If you work that way then you must think of the magnitudes as all being positive and when you add two forces, you might need to compute the "sum" of the magnitudes as |A| - |B|.
What if I was calculating net force with the mass and acceleration? So say I have a 2kg object moving right and I set right to be positive. If the object is slowing down and I calculate the acceleration to be -5 m/s^2 and I'm told to solve for net force, would I take the absolute value of the acceleration. So F = ma = (2)*(|-5|) = 10N or would I keep acceleration to be negative resulting in -10N as the net force?

joyce1029 said:
What if I was calculating net force with the mass and acceleration? So say I have a 2kg object moving right and I set right to be positive. If the object is slowing down and I calculate the acceleration to be -5 m/s^2 and I'm told to solve for net force, would I take the absolute value of the acceleration. So F = ma = (2)*(|-5|) = 10N or would I keep acceleration to be negative resulting in -10N as the net force?

By your convention on the positive direction, the force is -10 N. However, some textbooks might give the answer as 10 N. They might put words in the problem that suggest you should use the left as the postive direction or make the positive direction ambiguous ( - words such as "Find the force that opposed the motion of the mass").

Just to confuse things.
Intuitively, the reading will be higher, i always feel heavier in a lift accelerating upwards.
If you draw the acceleration vectors (-9.8 and + 2.5) from a point on paper and measure the difference, this = 9.8 +2.5 = 12.3 m/s/s
then : 12.3 * 63.8 = 784.74 N

1. How does the elevator, scale, and wrong answer puzzle work?

The puzzle involves a scenario where there are three items - an elevator, a scale, and a wrong answer - and the goal is to figure out how to use these items to determine the correct answer. It requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve the puzzle.

2. What is the origin of the elevator, scale, and wrong answer puzzle?

The origin of this puzzle is not definitively known, but it is believed to have originated in ancient China as part of a collection of math problems. It has since been adapted and popularized in various forms, including as a brain teaser and a logic puzzle.

3. What is the solution to the elevator, scale, and wrong answer puzzle?

The solution to the puzzle involves using the scale to weigh the elevator and the wrong answer, and then comparing those weights to determine the correct answer. The key is to think outside the box and use the items in a way that is not immediately obvious.

4. What skills does solving the elevator, scale, and wrong answer puzzle require?

Solving this puzzle requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and spatial reasoning skills. It also requires the ability to think creatively and approach problems from different angles in order to find a solution.

5. Are there any variations of the elevator, scale, and wrong answer puzzle?

Yes, there are many variations of this puzzle, with different items and scenarios. Some variations may involve using a balance scale instead of a regular scale, or changing the number of items to be weighed. These variations can make the puzzle more challenging and require different approaches to solve.