The Equations of Rotational Kinematics

In summary, the spinning wheel on a fireworks display undergoes a change in angular velocity from -4.00rad/s2 to -25.0rad/s, with an angular displacement of zero. The time required for this change to occur can be found using the equations W=Wo+xt, Displacement=1/2(W+Wo)t, and Displacement=Wot+1/2xt^2. The answer is 12.5s, but since the initial velocity and time are unknown, it is difficult to provide a complete solution.
pstfleur
1. A spinning wheel on a fireworks display is initially rotating in a counterclockwise direction. The wheel has an angular acceleration of -4.00rad/s2. Because of this acceleration, the angular velocity of the wheel changes from its initial value to a final value of -25.0rad/s. While this change occurs, the angular displacement of the wheel is zero. Find the time required for the change in the angular velocity to occur.

2. W=Wo+xt
Displacement=1/2(W+Wo)t
DIsplacement=Wot+1/2xt^2

3. The answer is suppose to be 12.5s..
OK the initial velocity is what I don't have, i know that its going to be negative.. In order for me to get the Initial angular velocity, i need the Time, which I also don't have.. I don't know how to answer with two unknowns.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello lol

bump bump bump

bumping again for the 2nd day :)

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves the use of equations and principles to describe the rotational motion of objects.

2. What are the basic equations of rotational kinematics?

The basic equations of rotational kinematics include the angular velocity equation (ω = Δθ/Δt), the angular acceleration equation (α = Δω/Δt), and the rotational motion equation (θ = θ0 + ω0t + ½αt^2), where ω is angular velocity, α is angular acceleration, θ is angular displacement, and t is time.

3. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement (Δθ) by the change in time (Δt). The units for angular velocity are radians per second (rad/s).

4. What is the relationship between linear and rotational motion?

Linear and rotational motion are related through the concept of angular velocity. The linear velocity of a point on a rotating object is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the distance from the axis of rotation to that point (v = ωr). This relationship is known as tangential velocity.

5. How does rotational kinematics relate to real-world applications?

Rotational kinematics is used in various real-world applications, such as the motion of planets and satellites, the motion of wheels and gears in machinery, and the flight of objects like frisbees and footballs. It is also important in understanding the movement and stability of objects like vehicles and airplanes.