Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The expansion of the universe, evidence of a 4th spatial dimension?

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1
    in order to explain the big bang theory and the expansion of space itself, people often draw upon the analogy of blowing air into a balloon and the 2 dimensional surface of the balloon expanding. isn't the 2-D balloon surface expanding in the third dimension, since the volume of the balloon is increasing. so in the same way couldn't the expansion of three dimensional space be indicative of the existence of a 4th spatial dimension (not temporal ) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2
    See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=261161#post1899468

The balloon analogy is just that- an analogy. It's not perfect and has limitations. The entire thread is worth perusing.

4. Feb 20, 2014 #3
    thanks for the link jimmy, ill try and get through the thread, but it is quite lengthy!

5. Feb 20, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try the link in my signature

6. Feb 20, 2014 #5
    Thanks, phinds. I wish I would have remembered your page. Much more concise than that long thread. :thumbs:

7. Feb 20, 2014 #6
    Thank you for the link phinds, much quicker than the other thread, although the other thread has some interesting content.

i have had this toy for a while exactly the same as this:
    is the increase of the distance between the (inside layer) orange dots at all analogical to the expansion of space?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Feb 20, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can't see it very well, it all moves so fast, but yeah, it does look like metric expansion if you consider only the dots.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook