The Flash quantum tunneling vibration problem.

In summary, in order for The Flash to tunnel through a wall, he would need to move at a velocity of (1+e^(9.52x1033)*V) / 0.02 m/s, assuming no relativity and a simplified equation due to the high potential energy of the wall.
jetwaterluffy
I was reading "The physics of superheroes", and it mentioned The Flash being able to increase his kinetic energy to tunnel though walls. I tried to find out how fast he would have to go, assuming he is vibrating (as shown in the actual comic) so will have several tries at trying to tunnel though a wall. I will assume no relativity, as it will make the equations harder and may make the feat impossible. This is how far I have got so far:
P=e-2KL
L= length of barrier. Let's assume a wall is 0.04m thick.
K= wave number =(sqrt(2m(V-E)))/h
m= mass. Let's say he weighs 80kg.
E= the flash's energy=mv2
v= Velocity. What I want to find out.
V= potential energy of the barrier. I have no idea what the potential energy of a brick wall is, so need your help on this.
h= Plank constant divided by 2pi= 1.06x10-34 Js
P= Probablity necessary to tunnel = 4a/vt (I think).
a= amplitude of the flash's vibration. Let’s assume 0.005m.
t= Tunneling time. Let’s say he wants to get through in 0.1s.
So I have so far:
0.02/0.1v=e-2*0.04*((sqrt(2*80*(V-(80v2))))/1.06x10-34)
0.2v-1=e-0.08*((12.6*sqrt(V-(80v2))/1.06x10-34)
0.2v-1=e-0.08*1.19x1035*(V-80v2)
0.2v-1=e-9.52x1033*(V-80v2)

I can't work out the potential energy of a brick wall, and would struggle solving the exponential. Can you help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential energy of a wall depends on the materials it is made from and the forces acting on it. It would be difficult to calculate the exact potential energy of a particular wall without knowing its exact composition and the forces acting on it. However, for the purposes of this problem, we can assume that the potential energy of the wall is significantly greater than the kinetic energy of The Flash. This simplifies the equation to:0.2v-1=e-9.52x1033*(V-80v2)=> 0.2v-1=e-9.52x1033*V=> v= (1+e^(9.52x1033)*V) / 0.2Therefore, to tunnel through the wall in 0.1s, The Flash would have to move at a velocity of (1+e^(9.52x1033)*V) / 0.02 m/s.

1. What is the Flash quantum tunneling vibration problem?

The Flash quantum tunneling vibration problem is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics that suggests that the Flash, a superhero known for his superhuman speed, would be unable to vibrate through solid objects due to the laws of quantum physics.

2. How does quantum tunneling work?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle has the ability to pass through a potential barrier that would normally be impossible to overcome according to classical physics. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

3. Why is the Flash affected by quantum tunneling?

As a speedster, the Flash's powers are based on his ability to move at superhuman speeds. However, quantum tunneling is a concept that applies to all particles, including the Flash, and it is not possible for him to bypass the laws of physics.

4. Can the Flash use his speed to overcome the quantum tunneling vibration problem?

No, the Flash's speed does not allow him to overcome the limitations imposed by quantum mechanics. Even at his fastest speeds, he would still be subject to the laws of the universe, including quantum tunneling.

5. Is there a solution to the Flash quantum tunneling vibration problem?

As a theoretical concept, there is currently no known solution to the Flash quantum tunneling vibration problem. However, as science and technology continue to advance, it is possible that new discoveries and theories may provide a solution in the future.