The force of gravity of two objects on a third?

In summary: So yes, I agree with your assessment.Sure. The balance point represents what is known as an unstable equilibrium: Any small perturbation will cause the mass to "fall" one way or the other. So yes, I agree with your assessment.In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of three masses, m1, m2, and m3, where m2 is greater than m1 and m3 is smaller than both. The conversation considers the placement of m3 at the midpoint of the line between m1 and m2, and the resulting net force towards m2. The concept of unstable equilibrium is also mentioned, where any small perturbation would cause m3 to fall towards either m1 or m2
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

[/B]
Imagine we have three masses, m1, m2 and m3. m2 is greater than m1. m3 is smaller than both. If we hold m1 and m2 in place without movement, and place m3 in the midpoint of the line adjoining m1 and m2, what will happen to m3?

Homework Equations

Newton's law of gravitation

The Attempt at a Solution

Since m2 > m1, I would think that the net force would be towards m2. However, this doesn't seem to make sense because the net force would just get greater and greater and eventually collide with m2. But this doesn't seem to be right. What would happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
Since m2 > m1, I would think that the net force would be towards m2. However, this doesn't seem to make sense because the net force would just get greater and greater and eventually collide with m2. But this doesn't seem to be right. What would happen?
I'm not sure why this result bothers you. Sounds quite reasonable to me that m3 will be drawn towards the larger mass.

Can you give a bit more detail to your statement " the net force would just get greater and greater and eventually collide with m2"? What happens to make the net force increase? What is colliding (it sounds like you have the force colliding..)?

gneill said:
I'm not sure why this result bothers you. Sounds quite reasonable to me that m3 will be drawn towards the larger mass.

Can you give a bit more detail to your statement " the net force would just get greater and greater and eventually collide with m2"? What happens to make the net force increase? What is colliding (it sounds like you have the force colliding..)?
I guess it is reasonable, but what if I placed m3 right at the point on the line where the force m1 exerts on it is equal to the force m3 exerts on it. If I nudged m3 a little in tehe direction of m1, would it then collide with m1? And if I nudged it a little in the direction of m2, would it then collide with m2?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I guess it is reasonable, but what if I placed m3 right at the point on the line where the force m1 exerts on it is equal to the force m3 exerts on it. If I nudged m3 a little in tehe direction of m1, would it then collide with m1? And if I nudged it a little in the direction of m2, would it then collide with m2?
Sure. The balance point represents what is known as an unstable equilibrium: Any small perturbation will cause the mass to "fall" one way or the other.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is the force of gravity between two objects on a third?

The force of gravity between two objects on a third is the mutual attraction that exists between any two objects with mass. This force is directly proportional to the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the force of gravity calculated between two objects on a third?

The force of gravity between two objects on a third can be calculated using Newton's Law of Gravitation, which states that the force is equal to the product of the masses divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by the gravitational constant (G).

3. Does the force of gravity depend on the mass of the third object?

No, the force of gravity between two objects on a third does not depend on the mass of the third object. It is only affected by the masses of the two objects and the distance between them.

4. How does the distance between the two objects affect the force of gravity on the third object?

The force of gravity between two objects on a third is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two objects increases, the force of gravity on the third object decreases.

5. Can the force of gravity between two objects on a third be negative?

No, the force of gravity between two objects on a third cannot be negative. It is always a positive force of attraction, regardless of the masses and distances of the objects involved.