Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Four Fundamental Force Equations

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    So, here is what I have:

F = -G\frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}}

Weak Interaction

F = -\frac{q_{1}q_{2}}{4\pi \epsilon_{o}r^{2}}

Strong Interaction

I'm thinking of all of these things as actual calculable forces; but I cannot find the equation I would use to calculate the force for each of the nuclear forces. It seems like searching online I'm seeing a few different equations that people might be trying to use. What am I missing? I'm just looking for the four fundamental force equations.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2

why is there a negative sign here? like-signed masses attact, but like-signed electric charges repel.

check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_interaction and you'll see something for Weak interaction (i confess i do not know the physics of it myself).
  4. Oct 8, 2007 #3
    You have the static electrical force, but left out the magnetic force:

F=qv x B
  5. Oct 8, 2007 #4
    rbj - I'm not sure why the negative sign is there. I got those equations from the wikipedia page for "Force", and they both have negative signs. I also already checked the "Weak Interaction" wikipedia page and it shows a "Long-Distance Behavior"; but it also shows simply [tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex] as the equations for Electromagnetic and Gravitation. I also had a question on how they say that Quantum Mechanics can explain the three stongest forces; but not gravity, though it has made an attempt to, which fails. What exactly is the proof that it fails to explain gravity? Their theories and attempts are including the theoretical graviton particle I'm assuming; but I can't quite seem to catch why they can't prove it. I guess on that point I'm looking for a page which shows a kind of attempt at using Quantum Mechanics to explain gravity (but obviously fails). And maybe this is a topic for the Advanced Physics section. If anyone feels they should move it, that's ok.

This is a topic that fascinates me. I would like to see the work that has been done in attempting to unify these forces.
  6. Oct 8, 2007 #5
    Loren Booda - Ok, thanks. I guess that makes sense. Would I combine that as a simple sum of forces? Also, is there a different form for that equation that is easier to plug and play various quantities?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?