Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical The Four Temperaments: Is san-mel possible?

1. May 27, 2009 #1

Eus

Hi Ho!

Referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Temperaments under "Temperament Blends", I would like to discuss whether it is possible for a person to have a blend of sanguine and melancholic at the same time.

AFAIK, a sanguine tends to be sloppy while a melancholic tends to be perfectionist. How then can one person be sloppy and neat at the same time?

If I am not in the right forum to discuss this, please give me a pointer to a better one. Thanks.

Best regards,
    Eus

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Such concepts as the four temperaments are VERY outdated. Modern psychology would only teach them from an historical perspective to show how far we've come since then, not because there is any validity to the ideas.

4. May 28, 2009 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

Um.. original poster - you're joking, right? This is like asking an alchemy question under 'chemistry'.

5. May 28, 2009 #4

Eus

Hi Ho!

Moonbear:
    What is the most recent concept accepted among modern psychology scholars?

alxm:
    No, I'm not joking. I am not a psychology guy and trying to find the truth out :-)
    "alchemy" under "chemistry"? I didn't realize that it is the situation. In that case, what is the right concept?

No offense, but I'd like to be sure of this: you guys are modern psychology scholars, aren't you? I just want to be sure that it is not the blind leading another blind.

Thanks for helping :-)

Best regards,
    Eus

6. May 28, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nowadays, we explain most behavior through neuroscience (or strive to). Accepted psychiatric disorders are defined in the DSM IV, which is a rather large volume. And, yes, the four temperaments is along the lines of alchemy in terms of how completely outdated it is.

7. May 28, 2009 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Eus,
    We here are not all psycology scholars. Look for a modern introductory psychology textbook. As other members have commented, psychology today has advanced from what it was 50 years ago. I would best guess that psychology textbooks from the 1950's would have nearly nothing to say about Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, or the Silicon Valley effect (frequency of Autism spectrum resulting individuals in the Silicon Valley area).

8. May 28, 2009 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Personality psychology is still an active area of study. There are quite a few theories you can read about here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_psychology

I am inclined to agree with the others that the Four Temperament theory is archaic, but good to know about to understand historical foundations of this branch of psychology.

(I have a psych degree, but only a BS, and in the cognitive area. :smile:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook