The future of mobile computing forensics analysts

In summary: I have read a bit about the debates, but would love to hear more. In summary, I am looking for information on the future of computer science, specifically mobile computing.
jordynchapin
TL;DR Summary
Looking for some info to write a paper(:
Hi there! I am a student in my first semester of undergrad studies for computer science. The first assignment in my CSC class is to write a paper on the future of computer science, which can be broad or niche. My end goal is to get a job in mobile computing forensics analysis, so this is what I want to write it on, but there is not a lot on information I have been able to find online.. is there anyone out there that might have some valuable and interesting info for me? Thanks in advance!

Technology news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Mobile computer forensics would include basic computer forensics ie everything you'd do to look at a computer for evidence would likely be used on a mobile platform.

Next what additional features do mobile platforms have that may need to be captured?

This article discusses computer forensics and a little bit of mobile to get you started. Start researching various forensic tasks to understand them better.

https://www.techtarget.com/searchsecurity/definition/computer-forensics

Likes jordynchapin
jordynchapin said:
My end goal is to get a job in mobile computing forensics analysis,
By "mobile computing", do you mean cellphones? If so, have you read much about the debates over privacy versus law enforcement with respect to gaining access to encrypted cellphones? This link has a number of nice articles on the general subject, with hopefully some links out to other resources for you to read:

1662570833390.png

1662570862028.png

(Looks like you will need to type that URL in by hand in your browser. For some reason when I try pasting it in here, it changes the URL to one of the media items on that page. Sheesh.)

Last edited:
Likes jordynchapin
berkeman said:
(Looks like you will need to type that URL in by hand in your browser. For some reason when I try pasting it in here, it changes the URL to one of the media items on that page. Sheesh.)
You can paste it with code tags: [ICODE]...[/ICODE]

• Informative
Likes jordynchapin and berkeman
berkeman said:
By "mobile computing", do you cellphones? If so, have you read much about the debates over privacy versus law enforcement with respect to gaining access to encrypted cellphones? This link has a number of nice articles on the general subject, with hopefully some links out to other resources for you to read:

View attachment 313878
View attachment 313879
Yes, cellphones! Thank you!

What is mobile computing forensics analysis?

Mobile computing forensics analysis is the process of extracting and analyzing data from mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, and other portable electronic devices. This includes both hardware and software analysis to gather information such as call logs, messages, location data, and internet activity.

What are the challenges facing mobile computing forensics analysts?

The main challenges facing mobile computing forensics analysts include the constantly evolving technology and software used in mobile devices, the wide variety of devices and operating systems, and the increasing use of encryption to protect data on these devices.

What tools and techniques do mobile computing forensics analysts use?

Mobile computing forensics analysts use a variety of tools and techniques to extract and analyze data from mobile devices. These can include hardware tools such as mobile device forensic kits, software tools for data extraction and analysis, and specialized techniques such as jailbreaking or rooting to gain access to locked devices.

What is the role of a mobile computing forensics analyst in law enforcement?

Mobile computing forensics analysts play a crucial role in law enforcement by providing evidence and insights from mobile devices that can aid in criminal investigations. They can also assist in recovering deleted or hidden data from devices, which may be crucial in solving a case.

How is the field of mobile computing forensics analysis expected to evolve in the future?

The field of mobile computing forensics analysis is expected to continue to grow and evolve as technology advances. This may include the development of new tools and techniques to keep up with changing devices and software, as well as increased focus on data privacy and security in the mobile world.