1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Gibbs-Duhem equation - checking some work

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a two-component system use the Gibbs-Duhem relation to show that

[tex]x \left(\frac{\partial \mu_a}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P} + (1-x)\left(\frac{\partial \mu_b}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P} = 0[/tex]

where [itex]\mu_a[/itex] and [itex]\mu_b[/itex] are chemical potentials and [itex]x=\frac{n_a}{n_b+n_a}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

The Gibbs-Duhem equation is as follows: [itex]-SdT+VdP- \sum_{i} n_i d\mu_i=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Looking at this I see that the sum of chemical potentials is equal to [itex]-SdT+VdP[/itex] (otherwise it wouldn't be zero). I also note that the x is the molar fraction of the two substances, which is why the second term in the equation we are trying to show equals zero has a 1-x in it. (The two molar fractions have to add up to 1).

That would say to me that one way to approach this is:

[itex]-SdT+VdP=n_a d\mu_a+n_b d\mu_b[/itex]

and since the capital S and V are the total S and V (not per mole) and na and nb are the moles of the two substances, if I want the per mole amounts I just need to convert those to molar fractions, [itex]x=\frac{n_a}{n_b+n_a}[/itex] so I would get

[itex]-sdT+vdP=\frac{n_a}{n_b+n_a}d\mu_a + (1 - \frac{n_a}{n_b+n_a})d\mu_b[/itex]

[itex]-sdT+vdP=xd\mu_a + (1 - x)d\mu_b[/itex]

Now, I can intuit that dT and dP ar both zero, because the original problem says T and P are kept constant. Integrating the above I should end up with

[itex]-sT+vP=x \mu_a + (1 - x)\mu_b[/itex]

and taking a partial derivative of μa w/r/t x:

[itex]x \left(\frac{\partial \mu_a}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P}+ \mu_a - \mu_b = 0[/itex]

do the same with μb w/r/t x:

[itex]\mu_a + (1-x) \left(\frac{\partial \mu_b}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P}- \mu_b = 0[/itex]

and since both equal zero they are equal to each other

[itex]x \left(\frac{\partial \mu_a}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P}+ \mu_a - \mu_b = \mu_a + (1-x) \left(\frac{\partial \mu_b}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P}- \mu_b[/itex]

and moving everything around

[itex]x \left(\frac{\partial \mu_a}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P} = (1-x) \left(\frac{\partial \mu_b}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P}[/itex]

[itex]x \left(\frac{\partial \mu_a}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P} - (1-x) \left(\frac{\partial \mu_b}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P} = 0[/itex]

But somehow I got a sign switch and I am not quite sure where. (I think I missed something dumb here). But more than that, the hint for the problem says to put μ in terms of P, T, and x and take the partial derivatives with respect to P etc. That seemed a much more complex way of going about it, and I also wondered if I was missing something about how they want you to do the problem. If I try that, what ends up happening is I try integrating to get μ and then re-deriving like this:

[itex]x \left(\frac{\partial \mu_a}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P} + (1-x)\left(\frac{\partial \mu_b}{\partial x}\right)_{T,P}= -Sdt + VdP[/itex] (this from the procedure above)

and then I just straight up integrate both sides

[itex]\frac{x^2}{2} \mu_a + (x-\frac{x^2}{2}) \mu_b= -ST + VP[/itex]

and taking the partial derivatives [itex]\frac{x^2}{2}\left(\frac{\partial \mu_a}{\partial P}\right)_{T,x} = V_a[/itex], and [itex](x-\frac{x^2}{2})\left(\frac{\partial \mu_b}{\partial P}\right)_{T,x} = V_b[/itex]

But from there I feel like I am losing the plot, and I suspect I am approaching the math wrong, though I also suspect that if I try the second approach I have to get the partial derivatives of μ with respect to T as well, leaving P constant.

Anyhow, what I am interested in is a) is the first method I tried valid and b) how I messed up the second. (I will make a bet that I can't treat partial derivatives the way I did in the integration I tried).

Any assistance is welcome, and thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2
    It's much simpler than this. It looks like things got away from you. Starting with:

[tex]-SdT+VdP=n_a d\mu_a+n_b d\mu_b[/tex]

At constant temperature and pressure, this becomes:

[tex]x_a d\mu_a+x_b d\mu_b=0[/tex]

Let x = xa and (1-x) = xb. Now since there are only two components, at constant temperature and pressure, μaa(x) and μbb(x). So dμa=(dμa/dx)dx and dμb=(dμb/dx)dx

Chet

4. Apr 30, 2014 #3
    Yours is a lot simpler, but I was just suspecting that the text was looking for something else, is all. But hey, simple is good. But I am curious if the first method I used was OK. (I know it got away from me in the second part, which is why I left off that method -- i am not sure why the text proposed doing it that way).

5. Apr 30, 2014 #4
    The following looks mathematically incorrect to me:

6. Apr 30, 2014 #5
    Good to know, but is there something specific that is wrong? That is, I know partial derivatives were on one side and total derivatives on the other, so that can't just be integrated as I did it? Is that the case?

7. Apr 30, 2014 #6
    If dT and dP are zero, then: [itex]-sdT+vdP=0[/itex]

Mathematically, the left side doesn't integrate to [itex]-sT+vP[/itex]

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted