The gravitational field at a mass point produced by an infinite plane

In summary: So ##2r\frac{dr}{d\rho} = 2\rho## and ##r\,dr = \rho\,d\rho ##. You forgot to take the derivative of ##r## on the LHS.
I'm reading:
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_13.html#Ch13-S4

1. In the link it says:
##2\pi\rho d\rho## is the area of the ring of the radius ##\rho## and width ##d\rho##, if ##d\rho \ll \rho##.

Why is this true??

2. A bit further down in the text it says:
Since ##r^2 = \rho^2 + a^2##, ##\rho\,d\rho = r\,dr##.

How do you get this result??

3. Even further down, after "But we see that", it says:
##r^2 = ... = a^2 + R^2 - 2Rx## Then: ##2r\,dr=-2R\,dx##

How do you get that?

It would be great if you answered my questions and if you recommended me some book or link that shows how to get these mathematical results.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
3102 said:
I'm reading:
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_13.html#Ch13-S41. In the link it says:
##2\pi\rho d\rho## is the area of the ring of the radius ##\rho## and width ##d\rho##, if ##d\rho \ll \rho##.

Why is this true??
The area of the ring is the difference between the area of a circle with radius ##\rho## and the area of a circle with radius ##\rho+d\rho##; the ring is what's left if I cut the smaller circle out of the bigger circle. The condition that ##d\rho \ll \rho## allows us to ignore the ##(d\rho)^2## terms.

2. A bit further down in the text it says:
Since ##r^2 = \rho^2 + a^2##, ##\rho\,d\rho = r\,dr##.

How do you get this result??
Differentiate both sides with respect to ##\rho##, and a bit of algebra will take you the rest of the way.

3. Even further down, after "But we see that", it says:
##r^2 = ... = a^2 + R^2 - 2Rx## Then: ##2r\,dr=-2R\,dx##

How do you get that?
(Note that Feynman has moved on to a different problem here)
The same trick as in #2 works here.

It would be great if you answered my questions and if you recommended me some book or link that shows how to get these mathematical results.
These results are all based on introductory-level calculus, and any decent intro textbook will give you the necessary background.

However, it takes a fair amount of practice (not hard, just practice) to get to where you can reach into the mathematical toolbox and pull out the right technique without thinking about it. The exercises in a calculus-based but pragmatic mechanics textbook such as Kleppner and Kolenkow would be a good start.

Last edited:
Thanks for your fast and great answer, but unfortunately I don't understand everything.

ad question1) Thanks, I completely understand your advice.

ad question2) I don't understand what's going on here. I've used your advise and differentiated both sides with respect to ##\rho##.
On the right side I've got ##f(\rho)=\rho^2+a^2## this is easy to differentiate: ##f'(\rho)=2\rho##, since ##a^2## is a constant.

The left side isn't that easy: ##f(\rho)=r(\rho)^2##.

$$f'(\rho)=\dfrac{r}{dr}\cdot\dfrac{dr}{d\rho}$$

$$f'(\rho)=1\cdot\dfrac{dr}{d\rho}$$

If I know set both sides together I get: ## 1\cdot\dfrac{dr}{d\rho}=2\rho##. Then I multiply both sides with ##dp## and divide them by ##2##: ##\frac{1}{2} \cdot dr = 2\rho \, d\rho##. This is not the same as ##r\,dr=\rho\,d\rho##. What did I do wrong?

ad question3) I think: If I'm able to understand question2, I will also understand question3.

3102 said:
What did I do wrong?

##\frac{d}{d\rho}(r^2) = 2r\frac{dr}{d\rho}##

##\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2+a^2) = 2\rho##

Likes 1 person

1. The statement is true because as the width of the ring, ##d\rho##, approaches zero, it can be considered as a point on the ring. In this case, the area of the ring becomes the circumference of the circle, which is given by ##2\pi\rho##. Multiplying this by the infinitesimal width, ##d\rho##, gives the area of the ring.

2. This result can be obtained by using basic trigonometry. In the right triangle formed by the hypotenuse, ##r##, and the sides, ##\rho## and ##a##, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to get ##r^2 = \rho^2 + a^2##. Then, by differentiating both sides with respect to ##r##, we get ##2r\,dr = 2\rho\,d\rho##. Rearranging this gives us ##\rho\,d\rho = r\,dr##.

3. This result follows from the previous result, where we have shown that ##\rho\,d\rho = r\,dr##. Rearranging this gives us ##2r\,dr = 2\rho\,d\rho##. Substituting this into the equation ##r^2 = a^2 + R^2 - 2Rx##, we get ##r^2 = a^2 + R^2 - 2Rx = a^2 + R^2 - 2R\rho\,d\rho##. Simplifying this equation gives us ##2r\,dr=-2R\,dx##.

As for recommended resources, I would suggest looking into calculus textbooks or online resources that cover basic trigonometry and differentiation. These concepts are fundamental in understanding the mathematical results mentioned in the link provided. Some good resources could include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, or textbooks such as "Calculus" by James Stewart or "A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang.

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is the region of space surrounding a massive object where another object with mass will experience a force of attraction. The strength of the gravitational field depends on the mass of the object creating the field.

2. How is the gravitational field at a mass point produced by an infinite plane calculated?

The gravitational field at a mass point produced by an infinite plane is calculated using the formula: E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density of the infinite plane and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. Does the distance from the infinite plane affect the gravitational field at a mass point?

Yes, the distance from the infinite plane does affect the gravitational field at a mass point. As the distance increases, the gravitational field strength decreases. This is because the influence of the infinite plane's gravity decreases with distance.

4. Can the gravitational field at a mass point produced by an infinite plane be negative?

No, the gravitational field at a mass point produced by an infinite plane cannot be negative. The gravitational field is always a vector quantity and points towards the direction of the force of attraction. A negative value would indicate a repulsive force, which is not possible in this scenario.

5. How does the gravitational field at a mass point produced by an infinite plane compare to that of a point mass?

The gravitational field at a mass point produced by an infinite plane is constant and does not depend on the distance from the plane, whereas the gravitational field of a point mass decreases as the distance increases. Additionally, the direction of the gravitational field for an infinite plane is always perpendicular to the plane, while the direction for a point mass varies depending on the position of the mass point.