1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The greatest and lower value of the function in this segment.

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    What is the greatest and lower value of the function[tex]y=x+\sqrt{x} [/tex]
    in the segment [0,4]?
    I knowit has to do with deriving it , but i dont know how to explain it.
    Any help :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2
    The maximum and minimum of a continuous function f on [a,b] can only be in at a, b or a number c which satisfies f'(c)=0.

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3
    Thanks thats gives a clue.
    So i replace a and b in the function , then equals it to 0 and compare a ,b and c. Isnt it so?

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4
    yes that's correct.

6. Jun 19, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is pretty vague, so you might understand what you mean, but you're not stating it clearly. What you need to do is to evaluate f(0) and f(4). Then you need to find f'(x) and set it to zero. If there is a number c for which f'(c) = 0, then evaluate f(c). Of the three numbers f(0), f(4), and f(c), one of them will be the largest function value on the interval [0, 4] and one will be the smallest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook