Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The greatest invention since the light bulb?

1. Apr 14, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have a great invention! It's great for many reasons!

1. I thought of it
    2. People are lazy and will use it
    3. Guys exist
    4. Women are annoying
    5. I thought of it

What's the most annoying thing that one has to do in their life? The most mind-numbing, boring, stupid thing one will ever encounter in their lives? That's right, making the bed. And what's worse then your girlfriend/wife coming into your room and saying "blah blah blah make the bed!!!!"? Death? Nope, not by a long-shot. What I think should be invented is like, a pulley system that makes the bed for you! Tracks and small motors could be put into the frame and hooks could clamp onto the bed sheets using small implanted rings at the corners. The pulleys and motors would pull the bed open and maybe even automatically release the hooks when it's made up so you can walk in, pull teh sheets and go back to sleep.

Awesome idea? Yes. Will it make me billions? Yes. Is it all because another silly habbit society seems to have that men don't really understand? You bet!

Patent pending! That means you cyrus!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2006 #2
    F'ing genius! That's arguably better than the light bulb, or even penicillin.

4. Apr 14, 2006 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would be the worst killing of a great tradition since the invention of the electronic calculator.

Making a bed so neat and tight that you could bounce a quarter on it is the greatest tradition left in the world. The second greatest tradition is short sheeting half the beds in barracks being prepared for new recruits - the image of scared 18 year olds leaping into their short-sheeted beds and spending the entire night wrapped in a fetal ball because their too scared to get up and fix their beds can leave a devious person giggling all night.

5. Apr 14, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You still live with your parents, don't you? :tongue:

The person who's actually picky about making the bed should be the one to make it; it's that simple. It doesn't make a lot of sense to nag someone else to do it, because if they didn't care that it was unmade in the first place, they're not ever going to do it "right" in the eyes of the person who wants it made.

6. Apr 14, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tend to find that tradition to be equally devious, if not more so, than short-sheeting, mainly because it can be employed on parents who insist you make all the beds in the house when company is coming. :devil: Yep, they look great, but when your parents go to get in bed at night, after a long day of entertaining company and then cleaning up, they realize the error of forcing children to make the beds while they're busy tugging and pulling the sheets and blankets out enough to get under the covers. :biggrin: Sometimes the best way to get out of a chore is to do it too well. :rofl:

7. Apr 14, 2006 #6

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It helps if you know how to weld and have a staple gun.

8. Apr 14, 2006 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

Pengwuino, you are beyond lazy

9. Apr 14, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pengwuino, don't quit your day job. :biggrin:

10. Apr 14, 2006 #9

dav2008

Gold Member

I don't make my bed because I'm just going to mess it up later anyway

11. Apr 14, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, same here. Having to install a contraption to make the bed for me and then push a button every morning would require more effort than I currently put into making the bed. I'm too lazy to use Pengwuino's invention. :biggrin:

12. Apr 14, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

but my day job is making up crappy ideas like this! :rofl: :rofl:

13. Apr 14, 2006 #12
    Hmmm, lets just see about that....

...that can't be good...

...ok

.....yes, and?........

...I put you in this group......

....it must be a pretty dumb idea....

Reading your posts.

...Do I smack my self in the forehead, or just punch you in yours?

.......sigh.........im out of comments...........

Sorry, no........ just no....

......I hate you.........

....don't worry about that one.:uhh:

14. Apr 14, 2006 #13
    No.You'll make trillons
    How do make an investment:biggrin:

15. Apr 14, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: gotta love cyrus

16. Apr 14, 2006 #15
    Oh yeah, and....

THREAD LOCKED!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?